Joining the IB program

minti

Hey there,

I am currently a student studying in Australia. I would like to apply to universities in the U.S, so should I take the IB course? Since I am going to do the standardised tests (SAT and ACT), I was wondering if I should also join the IB program to enhance the chances to join an American university.   

1 minute ago, Nomenclature said:

It wouldn't hurt you, but it might not help you. I wouldn't worry too much about IB in terms of admission prospects with U.S. schools and just do it if you want to do it. With Canadian schools on the other hand, it might give you a bit more of an advantage.

I heard that they would compare my grades with the students that go to my school. With my school being one of the few schools that actually offer the IB program, would they say that I am not challenging myself enough if I'm not joining the program? 

3 minutes ago, minti said:

I heard that they would compare my grades with the students that go to my school. With my school being one of the few schools that actually offer the IB program, would they say that I am not challenging myself enough if I'm not joining the program? 

Who knows? They're probably going to compare your SAT's/ACT's if you don't do it and your IB predicted results if you do do it. But they might know that predicted results are kind of a crapshoot so they'll compare SAT's/ACT's anyway.

I think it won't really give you a huge advantage, since US unis look at ACTs/SATs mostly, maybe only in terms 'I did something more competitive, something extra', but you can also get that advantage doing a lot of other things.

But if you're thinking of applying to any other country as well, besides US, just in case if your application to US unis doesn't go well, then it might be more useful.