Computer Science Pseudocode conventions

ijens10

Good Afternoon/Morning Computer Science Students,

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their weekend.....

Just a question regarding the pseudocode conventions (Topic 4) surrounding switch-cases. I have had a look at the IB Comp Sci guide and "Approved Notation for Developing Pseudocode" and have not found anything regarding it. Does anyone know if we can use switch-cases in pseudocode? If not, maybe I'll just have to go back to if, else if, else if, else if, else. Oh well.

Thank you very much in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, ijens10 said:

Good Afternoon/Morning Computer Science Students,

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their weekend.....

Just a question regarding the pseudocode conventions (Topic 4) surrounding switch-cases. I have had a look at the IB Comp Sci guide and "Approved Notation for Developing Pseudocode" and have not found anything regarding it. Does anyone know if we can use switch-cases in pseudocode? If not, maybe I'll just have to go back to if, else if, else if, else if, else. Oh well.

Thank you very much in advance.

It's been a while since I did IB but I'm doing a degree in comp sci. and I can say that switch statements should be absolutely valid pseudo-code. Fundamentally switch statements actually represented a different thing than if-else originally, although modern compilers probably are smart enough to make that not matter. 

37 minutes ago, Nomenclature said:

It's been a while since I did IB but I'm doing a degree in comp sci. and I can say that switch statements should be absolutely valid pseudo-code. Fundamentally switch statements actually represented a different thing than if-else originally, although modern compilers probably are smart enough to make that not matter. 

I agree. They are quite different in their uses, applications and efficiencies which is why I found it strange there was no mention of them.