Extended Essay Advice

umer251

Hey everyone, I'm in my first year of DP and I kindly request your advice. My school has set the deadline for our extended essays by the end of summer and hence, I have to come up with a research topic. I'm planning to go into IT after I graduate(hopefully) and I would like to use ITGS as my topic idea for the Extended Essay. However, I have not opted to take ITGS and I am concerned whether I can do an extended essay on it and still get an 'A'. I also take economics SL and I'm very interested in it as well. I was wondering if I can't do the essay on ITGS, could I link both subjects somehow? Thanks, guys.

Hello! Technically, you can write your Extended Essay in a subject that you aren't taking, as IB doesn't have a rule against it. However, it might be heavily discouraged or not even allowed depending on your school. For example, at my school, EE subjects were only limited to whichever courses a student was taking since the coordinator was worried that we wouldn't have sufficient knowledge of the subject in terms of what IB is looking for. Getting an 'A' on the EE is already a feat in and of itself, and even more so if it's not done in an exam subject.

In my opinion, it would be easier to obtain a better score by writing your EE in a subject that you're both interested in and actually taking. To my knowledge, EE's shouldn't be interdisciplinary and should only focus on one subject, so combining ITGS with a different subject wouldn't be advised. Contrary to what MoeU stated above, I don't think that languages or history are necessarily "easy" EE subjects, as level of difficulty is subjective. The most suitable subjects are what you'll be most intrigued and motivated by. Out of ITGs and economics, I'd choose economics if I were in your shoes solely because it's a course you're enrolled in, but take this advice with a grain of salt. Maybe you can consult your teacher(s) if you haven't already, they might have some good advice for you too. Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solstice said:

Hello! Technically, you can write your Extended Essay in a subject that you aren't taking, as IB doesn't have a rule against it. However, it might be heavily discouraged or not even allowed depending on your school. For example, at my school, EE subjects were only limited to whichever courses a student was taking since the coordinator was worried that we wouldn't have sufficient knowledge of the subject in terms of what IB is looking for. Getting an 'A' on the EE is already a feat in and of itself, and even more so if it's not done in an exam subject.

In my opinion, it would be easier to obtain a better score by writing your EE in a subject that you're both interested in and actually taking. To my knowledge, EE's shouldn't be interdisciplinary and should only focus on one subject, so combining ITGS with a different subject wouldn't be advised. Contrary to what MoeU stated above, I don't think that languages or history are necessarily "easy" EE subjects, as level of difficulty is subjective. The most suitable subjects are what you'll be most intrigued and motivated by. Out of ITGs and economics, I'd choose economics if I were in your shoes solely because it's a course you're enrolled in, but take this advice with a grain of salt. Maybe you can consult your teacher(s) if you haven't already, they might have some good advice for you too. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! It seems I will do one in economics.