ITGS Extended Essay

Dooga

Hi I was wondering if anyone is doing or did an ITGS extended essay? I'm currently doing ITGS for my EE, but because the course is very broad, it is very difficult to find what content is appropriate or not. Our ITGS teacher told us that ITGS can be taught by English teachers or Math teachers, so I'm somewhat afraid that they will not be able to understand IT terminology if it is too complicated, or a certain IT concept. After all, we can't expect teachers to be very fluent with concepts such as Web 2.0 for example. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? You don't have to be in ITGS or do the EE to respond, I guess.

To be honest you have to able to assume that an IT teacher (no matter what discipline they're coming from) will know what they're teaching about. Therefore you should be able to write your EE on whatever you want within the subject area. It's like Literature, you can't expect the examiner to know your book but you expect them to know enough about the subject area to be able to follow the concepts discussed in the essay and follow marking criteria to mark your EE fairly.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mr_whatsisname

well i did my EE in ITGS (sorry , but it doesn't seem at all boring) and i certainly do hope that no math teacher will be correcting it...I did it on Phishing...i would rather prefer it that no clueless guy wonders what thee H*** phishing is and wonders whether i've spelled it right.

A fellow student of mine chose "in-game advertising" which i think is a great topic... It is wise to chose topics that actually combine two or more ethical and social issues...like when referring to phishing you can easily talk about security, and that many online business's are on the verge of closing down due to the fact that many users are too afraid of giving their personal credit card information online...

umm...if you want any more help just let me know...

i am an ITGS freak/geek XD i do have a 7 prediction:P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

well i did my EE in ITGS (sorry , but it doesn't seem at all boring) and i certainly do hope that no math teacher will be correcting it...I did it on Phishing...i would rather prefer it that no clueless guy wonders what thee H*** phishing is and wonders whether i've spelled it right.

A fellow student of mine chose "in-game advertising" which i think is a great topic... It is wise to chose topics that actually combine two or more ethical and social issues...like when referring to phishing you can easily talk about security, and that many online business's are on the verge of closing down due to the fact that many users are too afraid of giving their personal credit card information online...

umm...if you want any more help just let me know...

i am an ITGS freak/geek :P i do have a 7 prediction:P

Hey. Listen my question is also in ITGS and my noticed halfway in that my question hovered too much on Economics. Long story short i need to change questions. I'd like to keep the question on the hotel indsutry but i have no idea how to link IT and Hotel industry? Can you maybe gimme a lil tip you " ITGS freak / geek "

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm also doing my EE in ITGS now I'm starting to realize that my RQ may be too broad and more towards Economics. My RQ is : What impact will the introduction of bio metric surveillance have on the banking sector of Zambia? Do you guys think that it's too broad? IF yes, then how can I narrow it down? Thanks.

Hi,

I did my Extended Essay for the May 2013 session in ITGS and received a B (26). Note, I did not take ITGS as a subject for my final exams. The topic of the essay was research on the effects of electronic systems in airplanes on pilots and improvements in safety for passengers pertaining to automation and redundancy. If IBS has a PM system (I'm new here), then send me a PM if you want me to send you a copy of how mine looks, etc.

Writing the essay has a few requirements to attain a good grade: You must love the topic that you're researching on and genuinely be interested in it, otherwise you will get fed up and frustrated easily. ITGS, as monkonloose stated, is about analysing the effects of modern technology on society while considering the social and ethical factors involved, so do not get too technical when it comes to technology; however, you must explain the technological basics of the ITGS system and how it pertains to any stakeholders.

I started my research extremely late, but I was able to finish my essay within three weeks. You must scrutinise the ITGS section of the Extended Essay guide over and over until you know it by heart; that way you will know when you're doing something wrong during the write-up of the essay. You can find exemplar essays online easily using Google and I suggest you read around 5 or 6 of them; they are very helpful.

What I have learned during my Extended Essay work is that your essay should cover all three parts of the ITGS Triangle along with analysis of the connections between the three main areas of the subject; for example, if you were to research on the use of some specific technology in stem cell research, you should be able to identify all the social and ethical benefits and problems, and analyse them appropriately within the word limit; you must also analyse the overall impact of the technology in the field of research (in this case: Biotechnology, I think). A part of your essay should also offer solutions to any problems that you have noticed in the ITGS system through your research. You must gather information through your primary research to support any information you have obtained from your online/reference book (or secondary) research.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ss4ggtbbk

• 7 years later...
On 7/18/2013 at 11:19 PM, ss4ggtbbk said:

Hi,

I did my Extended Essay for the May 2013 session in ITGS and received a B (26). Note, I did not take ITGS as a subject for my final exams. The topic of the essay was research on the effects of electronic systems in airplanes on pilots and improvements in safety for passengers pertaining to automation and redundancy. If IBS has a PM system (I'm new here), then send me a PM if you want me to send you a copy of how mine looks, etc.

Writing the essay has a few requirements to attain a good grade: You must love the topic that you're researching on and genuinely be interested in it, otherwise you will get fed up and frustrated easily. ITGS, as monkonloose stated, is about analysing the effects of modern technology on society while considering the social and ethical factors involved, so do not get too technical when it comes to technology; however, you must explain the technological basics of the ITGS system and how it pertains to any stakeholders.

I started my research extremely late, but I was able to finish my essay within three weeks. You must scrutinise the ITGS section of the Extended Essay guide over and over until you know it by heart; that way you will know when you're doing something wrong during the write-up of the essay. You can find exemplar essays online easily using Google and I suggest you read around 5 or 6 of them; they are very helpful.

What I have learned during my Extended Essay work is that your essay should cover all three parts of the ITGS Triangle along with analysis of the connections between the three main areas of the subject; for example, if you were to research on the use of some specific technology in stem cell research, you should be able to identify all the social and ethical benefits and problems, and analyse them appropriately within the word limit; you must also analyse the overall impact of the technology in the field of research (in this case: Biotechnology, I think). A part of your essay should also offer solutions to any problems that you have noticed in the ITGS system through your research. You must gather information through your primary research to support any information you have obtained from your online/reference book (or secondary) research.

Hope this helps.

Hello, is there any way i can get a copy of ur essay?