Do i have to know a language before taking ib language b?

Hello, I am starting my IB program this year and I was wondering, in order to take Language B (either SL or HL) do I have to know this language beforehand? 

I will be attending school in Sweden, however, I am not from there nor have I spent more than a month there. I am planning on taking Spanish HL (I have been studying Spanish for four years) and I really want to learn Swedish. So is it possible to learn a language without having an experience in target language? Thanks in advance!💘

Well, if you want to take language B SL you should have at least B1 level (at least that's what a French teacher at our school told us) and at HL it's said to be around C1, but tbh I wouldn't say it really is. I have English B HL (it's not my native language and we're required to take our native language which is Polish from the first group so majority of students take English B in order not to study 2 literature subjects) and my English level is around 'high C1' and I think the course is quite easy, but you need to know sophisticated vocabulary in order to do well in the internal assessment and all pieces of writing. Do you have a possibility to take Swedish ab initio? Because this is the course designed for those who have never studied the language before.

Hope that helps!

On 3/4/2020 at 1:15 AM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Well, if you want to take language B SL you should have at least B1 level (at least that's what a French teacher at our school told us) and at HL it's said to be around C1, but tbh I wouldn't say it really is. I have English B HL (it's not my native language and we're required to take our native language which is Polish from the first group so majority of students take English B in order not to study 2 literature subjects) and my English level is around 'high C1' and I think the course is quite easy, but you need to know sophisticated vocabulary in order to do well in the internal assessment and all pieces of writing. Do you have a possibility to take Swedish ab initio? Because this is the course designed for those who have never studied the language before.

Hope that helps!

Hi, thanks a lot for your help! After writing this post I fount out Swedish ab initio is available at this school! However, I don’t know if my Spanish is c1 level, since I didn’t have a great teacher (I’m probably b1-b2). I’ll talk to the school administration to find out what level I need. 

Again, thank you very much!