Maths IA topic - sport?

ChocolateAndVanilla

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone has done a Maths IA (exploration) connected with sport and calculations around it, can be both HL or SL. I have to write an essay in Maths (for a competition) which is somehow similar to IA (but it's not really about IA), so that's why it doesn't have any specified level of Maths required. 

I was thinking of calculating something with skiing (or figure skating) cause I'm interested in that and I think I could find some Maths in it. However, I'm not sure how to tackle the topic (I'm in Y1 so we haven't started our IAs yet) and what it could possibly be about. If anyone has done an IA (or another Maths essay) in any of these topics, it would be awesome if you could tell me what you did basically 😀

Also if anyone has any good, interesting ideas (not neccessarily connected with sport) and rather difficult ones (since it is a competition), feel free to share them with me!

I just need to find some inspiration on what I can research and write about.

Thanks in advance!!

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine is doing an IA on the curvature physics of a ball in football (soccer), I told him he'd struggle with the data collection that he's doing himself because of the human inaccuracy. If you decide to do this, make sure you plan it out in the future and just think about how you're going to test it (if you are going to), etc. Also make sure to not get to close to physics, and try and make it more math, even though they're very similar. Here's and example of an IA that used physics and turned it into math and scored high. The Relationship of Maximum Thickness of an Airfoil and the Lift Force Generated

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lxith said:

A friend of mine is doing an IA on the curvature physics of a ball in football (soccer), I told him he'd struggle with the data collection that he's doing himself because of the human inaccuracy. If you decide to do this, make sure you plan it out in the future and just think about how you're going to test it (if you are going to), etc. Also make sure to not get to close to physics, and try and make it more math, even though they're very similar. Here's and example of an IA that used physics and turned it into math and scored high. The Relationship of Maximum Thickness of an Airfoil and the Lift Force Generated

Thanks for that! I'll have a look