Physics Extended Essay

louisb

Hello, I have been thinking about what I would like to do for my extended essay and I have come up with two ideas that I would like to share to you to ask for some advice about whether or not these are suitable for a possible EE in physics; 

The first idea is about the science behind projectiles where I was thinking about researching the science behind the centre of gravity and the centre of pressure while the rocket is in flight and how this can affect the stabilisation of it. However, my Physics teacher told me that it would be too difficult to measure which means that I had to do it with paper airplanes instead. my research question for this would have been something like; 

"In what ways does the position of the centre of pressure and centre of gravity affect the stability of a projectile rocket launched in the air?"

OR "How is the stability of a projectile rocket affected by the position of the centre of pressure and centre off gravity as it is launched in the air?"

Therefore, the second idea that came up was about doing it about angular momentum, and explain this while doing an experiment with a rotating bicycle wheel. This could be very interesting because I could look at how different mass and diameter of the wheel changes the amount of angular momentum it emits when rotated. 

Here my topic and research question will look at how the sizes of different rotating wheels affect the angular momentum of the person holding it in his hand; 

"How does the diameter of a wheel affect the angular momentum of a person sitting on a stool?"

OR "In what ways does the radius of a wheel affect the angular momentum it’s acting on a person?"

In my opinion, the second idea seems much more fun and interesting to do.

What do you think, if you have some advice please tell me. 

Thank you!

On 2/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, louisb said:

Hello, I have been thinking about what I would like to do for my extended essay and I have come up with two ideas that I would like to share to you to ask for some advice about whether or not these are suitable for a possible EE in physics; 

The first idea is about the science behind projectiles where I was thinking about researching the science behind the centre of gravity and the centre of pressure while the rocket is in flight and how this can affect the stabilisation of it. However, my Physics teacher told me that it would be too difficult to measure which means that I had to do it with paper airplanes instead. my research question for this would have been something like; 

"In what ways does the position of the centre of pressure and centre of gravity affect the stability of a projectile rocket launched in the air?"

OR "How is the stability of a projectile rocket affected by the position of the centre of pressure and centre off gravity as it is launched in the air?"

Therefore, the second idea that came up was about doing it about angular momentum, and explain this while doing an experiment with a rotating bicycle wheel. This could be very interesting because I could look at how different mass and diameter of the wheel changes the amount of angular momentum it emits when rotated. 

Here my topic and research question will look at how the sizes of different rotating wheels affect the angular momentum of the person holding it in his hand; 

"How does the diameter of a wheel affect the angular momentum of a person sitting on a stool?"

OR "In what ways does the radius of a wheel affect the angular momentum it’s acting on a person?"

In my opinion, the second idea seems much more fun and interesting to do.

What do you think, if you have some advice please tell me. 

Thank you!