I'm scared for the DP

Sugadonuticecream

Hi I am starting the 2 year long DP program next year and i am super scared. I've been looking at IB results reaction videos and IB horror stories and seeing that so many people got results they did not expect, i am scared. I am really worried that i'll do bad on my exam or mess something up in my finals. I am also really really stressed that in year 11 I won't have enough time to study or will not get the concepts and not understand stuff to the extent that the IB requires. It has always been my dream to get into medicine and to do that in Australia, I need an IB of 42. Just thinking about that makes me really stressed because i don't know if i am smart enough to get 7's and 6's grades. Especially for maths, i am super scared that i'll get some hard question that i haven't come across and i'll loose a ton of marks. I am the kind of student that can grasp the maths concepts but has trouble applying it to really complicated and hard questions. I'm honestly terrified for next year because i feel like all my 12 years of school depend on  these 2 years and i really want to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. I've been getting better at my subjects but my IA's re another problem. I suck at IA's and again, i am terrified of them. Also, the EE's and ToK's are also like IA's and again thinking about them makes me super super stressed. Pleas help me out because i feel like if i get even one question wrong, i will beat myself up really really badly. 

For pre-IB i have gotten around 3 A's, 3B's (more like 2 7's, 2 6's and 2 5's). I am not really sure if they're 7's, 6's or 5's because my school gives us A's and B's in pre-IB. Plus the boundary for a A/7 is 80% and for B/6/5 its 65% and above. 

My subjects are:

Maths sl

'English language and literature hl

Economics hl

Biology hl

Japanese sl

chemistry sl

thank you so much and i am so sorry that this is so long!!

Edited by Sugadonuticecream

20 hours ago, Sugadonuticecream said:

Hi I am starting the 2 year long DP program next year and i am super scared. I've been looking at IB results reaction videos and IB horror stories and seeing that so many people got results they did not expect, i am scared. I am really worried that i'll do bad on my exam or mess something up in my finals. I am also really really stressed that in year 11 I won't have enough time to study or will not get the concepts and not understand stuff to the extent that the IB requires. It has always been my dream to get into medicine and to do that in Australia, I need an IB of 42. Just thinking about that makes me really stressed because i don't know if i am smart enough to get 7's and 6's grades. Especially for maths, i am super scared that i'll get some hard question that i haven't come across and i'll loose a ton of marks. I am the kind of student that can grasp the maths concepts but has trouble applying it to really complicated and hard questions. I'm honestly terrified for next year because i feel like all my 12 years of school depend on  these 2 years and i really want to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. I've been getting better at my subjects but my IA's re another problem. I suck at IA's and again, i am terrified of them. Also, the EE's and ToK's are also like IA's and again thinking about them makes me super super stressed. Pleas help me out because i feel like if i get even one question wrong, i will beat myself up really really badly. 

For pre-IB i have gotten around 3 A's, 3B's (more like 2 7's, 2 6's and 2 5's). I am not really sure if they're 7's, 6's or 5's because my school gives us A's and B's in pre-IB. Plus the boundary for a A/7 is 80% and for B/6/5 its 65% and above. 

My subjects are:

Maths sl

'English language and literature hl

Economics hl

Biology hl

Japanese sl

chemistry sl

thank you so much and i am so sorry that this is so long!!

U wanna do medicine so why are u taking both bio and chem as sl 

IF YOU WANT TO DO MEDICINE, YOU NEED CHEM HL AND BIO HL / not to stress u out but this is the truth... if u cant take both as hl due to its difficulty for u, take chem sl but at least on of them should be HL... if u are fully decided to enter medicine, take math studies but let me tell u something u might change ur mind about what you wanna study later on. 

How about these courses: 

Option 1: 

HL: Chem/ Bio/ Business 

SL: Math/ Japanese/ English 

Option 2: 

HL: Chem/English/ Business 

SL: Math (or studies if medicine)/ Japanese/ Bio 

4 hours ago, BudyH said:

U wanna do medicine so why are u taking both bio and chem as sl 

IF YOU WANT TO DO MEDICINE, YOU NEED CHEM HL AND BIO HL / not to stress u out but this is the truth... if u cant take both as hl due to its difficulty for u, take chem sl but at least on of them should be HL... if u are fully decided to enter medicine, take math studies but let me tell u something u might change ur mind about what you wanna study later on. 

How about these courses: 

Option 1: 

HL: Chem/ Bio/ Business 

SL: Math/ Japanese/ English 

Option 2: 

HL: Chem/English/ Business 

SL: Math (or studies if medicine)/ Japanese/ Bio 

He is taking Biology HL!

16 hours ago, Sugadonuticecream said:

I agree, but i find chemistry as really difficult. Even pre-IB chemistry seemed kinda tough for me so i am scared to take Chem HL

Then to be honest with you, you shouldn't take it. Then take chem sl, i think anyone can manage that but HL requires more effort and understanding of more content, skills, and by the end of the syllabus, you will realize that the the exam questions (Real IB Exam) will be 1.a.b.c.d.e.f.g. something like that and each letter or part of the question represents a topic in the syllabus. so you will need every topic whether it was hl or sl to actually complete the question. SO OVERALL, I think you should take chem sl because its manageable and ill think you will do great. Bio HL is mainly memorization or thats what i hear from the students that take it in our school i guess. Good luck and hope i helped. 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Sugadonuticecream said:

I agree, but i find chemistry as really difficult. Even pre-IB chemistry seemed kinda tough for me so i am scared to take Chem HL

If you find pre-IB chemistry is tough for you, you need to reconsider whether you really want to pursue medicine or not. Most (if not all) medical schools' pre requisite involve I year of organic chemistry and I year inorganic chemistry. You still have to face it in your undergraduate program.

15 hours ago, sunsally said:

If you find pre-IB chemistry is tough for you, you need to reconsider whether you really want to pursue medicine or not. Most (if not all) medical schools' pre requisite involve I year of organic chemistry and I year inorganic chemistry. You still have to face it in your undergraduate program.

This is also a very good point for long term medicine career. btw you should identify what you are good at and what you like because you may not be good at what you like. 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:12 PM, sunsally said:

I think he should take HL on whichever he is confident to have high score, either biology or chemistry 

That ain't true. If you want medicine CHEM HL is required both in Australia, U.K, etc. But then again you need to go pre-med so you don't necessarily need to pick anything requiring HL chem if its the case. 

- Also it's not gonna be easy but anyone can do well in the IB don't listen to the "Horror story" BS. They didn't work hard enough simple as. Full stop. Work your ass off for the last year and work hard first year and you'll do just ****ing fine. Don't stress over **** you're still like 2 years away and you've practically not started lmao. I used to think IB was gonna be so hard becuase I watched those videos. But mate, grow a pair lmao j.k. but seriously you need to work hard. IB is not a "how smart are you" programme. Its a "how many hours are you gonna put in to get high marks" kinda programme. So don't worry just work hard and e.z. af trust lmao. 

14 hours ago, Krodini said:

That ain't true. If you want medicine CHEM HL is required both in Australia, U.K, etc. But then again you need to go pre-med so you don't necessarily need to pick anything requiring HL chem if its the case. 

- Also it's not gonna be easy but anyone can do well in the IB don't listen to the "Horror story" BS. They didn't work hard enough simple as. Full stop. Work your ass off for the last year and work hard first year and you'll do just ****ing fine. Don't stress over **** you're still like 2 years away and you've practically not started lmao. I used to think IB was gonna be so hard becuase I watched those videos. But mate, grow a pair lmao j.k. but seriously you need to work hard. IB is not a "how smart are you" programme. Its a "how many hours are you gonna put in to get high marks" kinda programme. So don't worry just work hard and e.z. af trust lmao. 

Hi, thank you so much for your reply!

I checked the prerequisites and they don't really require anything for undergraduate medicine. Honestly, yea i am super freaked out because of reading those horror stories. I am going to try my absolute best and i figured if i spent enough hours understanding, memorising and practising even if i don't understand the topic, then i should be good right? After all, if i spend enough time practising, i'll get good marks. I am jut a tad bit worried about time management because of CAS and all.  Going to try my very best though and hopefully i get through it. :)