Warwick reject 43 points

laneolaneo1

I think high schools inflate your predicted grades way too much. Those applying early had predicted grades much higher than what I would give them just for the sake of the school gaining credibility for sending their student off to Oxford etc. That's why your grades were downgraded and whatever ECs you had were scrutinized.

• 12 years later...
On 2/20/2009 at 10:48 AM, Mark said:

I finally received feedback from Warwick about my rejected application. I applied for PPE and this is what they said:

''Dear Mark

Thank you for your email. I have taken a look at your form and the Course Selector has indicated that your personal statement and GCSE (or equivalent) profile was not as strong as other applications we have received.

This year we have received about 680 applications from home students for approximately 50 places. This gives you some idea of the high level of competition for places. As previously stated the majority of these applications will more than meet our academic entrance requirements and as such selection comes down to strength of personal statement and even GCSE profile as compared to the rest of the applicant pool. We recognise that this does mean some very good applicants will be unsuccessful because of this competition for places.''

and

''However if your application was not considered strong enough with regard to your personal statement the Course Selectors would not have needed your SAT results to make this decision.''

50/680? Wow thats less than 10%! I didn't know, but yeah now i'm not surprised. My Personal statement was focused on politics and economics and only briefly mentioned philosophy (i made a note about TOK) so yeah I guess in that regard my PS wasn't that adequate. I applied for PPE at Warwick because I wanted to apply to Warwick for Politics and Economics but they didn't offer it, so I took the subject that was closest related. As for my GCSE profile, it was good, however not excellent, I only got 3 A*s whereas some people get at least 5 A*s. I'm surprised that they didn't say that my predicted grades for IB were too low, and I find it odd that they even bother putting weight on GCSEs :angry:

Hi I really want to study PPE at Warwick university! Do you mind saying what grade you obtained for GCSE maths. I meet all the other requirements as I have exceeded the A-level entry requirements (I'm on a gap year) and I want to see if I have a good chance. 

Thank you.