Warwick reject 43 points

laneolaneo1

Warwick is pretty highly regarded in some subjects (actually pretty many). What did you apply to?

I have been predicted in the region of 43-45 (don't know exactly). I got an offer from Cambridge for history. Still haven't heard back from Warwick. I know they've accepted quite a lot of people for history so maybe a rejection coming round to me (tbh, wouldn't really bother me, I prefer KCL as an insurance anyway). I'm also waiting to hear from LSE and Durham also.

Yeah. Anyway, who would want to study in a uni that doesn't have much life of its own and is near to one of the most crime infested cities of the UK -_- I think Warwick is pretty well known for PPE, so I wouldn't say it's that strange. Actually at least one guy from my school applied to Oxford and Warwick for PPE, got an interview at Oxford and rejected by Warwick.

Conversely, a girl from my school last year that applied to both Cambridge and Warwick got pooled by Cambridge and finally rejected in April. She was made an offer by Warwick for PPE, and is now studying there.

If you look at this personal statement, http://www.studential.com/bio/getps.asp?ps...mp;view=subject ,on the side you will see the offers made to the person. They got an offer from Oxford, and were rejected by Durham.

Warwick won't have known that you applied to Oxford and were given an interview, universities can't see where else you applied to. Something in your personal statement may not have appealed to them, maybe your political views or what not. Different universities look for different kinds of people.

I also got rejected from Warwick for PPE yesterday. My predicted grades are 34-38. What annoys me is that I asked the admissions officer if they would take my SAT Reasoning and SAT Subject test scores into consideration and they asked me to forward them as soon as I can in February and collegeboard begins mailing the January tests in February 12..... and they rejected me already without waiting for my SAT scores! I already paid collegeboard to send warwick my scores. The least they could've done was to say that I shouldn't bother sending my scores this late. I'm really annoyed! -_-

You've done the IB diploma, Warwick doesn't have to look at your SAT score since they are not a requirement for the application to be considered. They base your admission decision on the basis of the IB Dip and your PS.

And to the OP, the only possibility is that either they didn't like your PS, or they labelled you as a potential Oxbridge applicant and rejected you on the basis of that. The former is more likely :D Meat for some, poison for others!

Warwick won't have known that you applied to Oxford and were given an interview, universities can't see where else you applied to. Something in your personal statement may not have appealed to them, maybe your political views or what not. Different universities look for different kinds of people.

No, but Oxbridge has earlier deadlines than the other unis so Warwick would have known. There was a board on TSR about this recently, I think Bristol or something was rejecting applicants who were either accepted by Oxbridge or got interviews.

No, but Oxbridge has earlier deadlines than the other unis so Warwick would have known. There was a board on TSR about this recently, I think Bristol or something was rejecting applicants who were either accepted by Oxbridge or got interviews.

It depends, we don't have to add other universities choice at the same time we submit the choice of Oxbridge, do we?

Yes I know SAT scores aren't required, but I asked them if I could send them so to be considered, and they said yes. I've been at two British university fairs in Warsaw and the admissions officers from top universities like Bristol and Warwick encouraged us to send SAT scores if we have them.

What annoys me is that they told me (by e-mail) I should send them and that they'll wait to receive them in February and then give me an admissions decision. but they didn't keep word and now I wasted 10 USD for my scores to be sent to a uni that already rejected me -_-

I mean if a university is not going to consider SAT scores then they should at least state it when I ask them instead of surprising me with a rejection letter when the scores are about to be sent.

If that's the case then confront them about it. Call / Email them, but I doubt that will make a difference since they will always base your decision on your IB Diploma. The Stupid American Test is not any good since it is easy to beat the system and it provides no indicator of academic strength.

Quote the email and reply back to them, and ask them to reconsider your application with the SAT scores. You should have them already, so quote the Collegeboard website and give it to them.

Actually at least one guy from my school applied to Oxford and Warwick for PPE, got an interview at Oxford and rejected by Warwick.

So it does happen :D And you're spot on about the uni and the location.

And to the OP, the only possibility is that either they didn't like your PS, or they labelled you as a potential Oxbridge applicant and rejected you on the basis of that. The former is more likely :) Meat for some, poison for others!

You may well be right, (although I did think my personal statement was damned fine, if I might say so -_- )

Actually, come to think of it, I took a TSA for Oxford, so that may have shifted the balance in my favour. I don't yet know how I scored on that test.

Bad luck. Life goes on.

Very true.

This thread isn't here to whine or search for sympathy. I just genuinely feel that the IB is severely underrated in the UK next to A Levels. 43 points pulverises AAA, but awareness of the diploma remains low. Fair to say?

Edited by laneolaneo1

You may well be right, (although I did think my personal statement was damned fine, if I might say so -_- )

Actually, come to think of it, I took a TSA for Oxford, so that may have shifted the balance in my favour. I don't yet know how I scoed on that test.

True, but there may just be something that the tutor may have hated. It may be possible to ask them for feedback regarding your application. I know that LSE provides a reason for denial.

This thread isn't here to whine or search for sympathy. I just genuinely feel that the IB is severely underrated in the UK next to A Levels. 43 points pulverises AAA, but awareness of the diploma remains low. Fair to say?

True, but to put it in perspective. Quite a large number of people get scores higher than 36 points therefore it's not like universities do not have a large range of IB students to select from. Secondly, the UK has more A-Level applications than IB, therefore they choose and have to choose a lot more A-Level applicants than IB applicants. And yes, of course, the IB is underrated but most of life's good things are, no?

We have basically the same thing in Norway. However, my IB coordinator told us that there will be debates with the school authorities of Norway regarding this and she said it stands a good chance of being changed. I should probably take that with a pinch of salt, but the possibility of IB being more accepted sounds good to me anyway.

I don't know why such internationally recognized schools haven't taken the initiative to see what IB is really about and how hard/demanding the programme is. The other posters in this thread probably has some good points in the fact that the schools have many more A-level applicants than they have IB applicants, but this shouldn't really tip it in anyones favor, should it?

Good luck with emailing them about your SAT's!

• 2 weeks later...
...I was rejected from Oxford despite being predicted 43-44. The grades really are no guarantee what so ever! It seems as though the only purpose they serve in Oxbridge applications is to help determine whether you should be interviewed or not. To me, anyway.

True, but Warwick don't interview...

To the person above (Mark): Unlucky mate... Know how you feel.

Having said that, I got straight A*s in GCSE so my personal statement must have been bloody awful :angry:

The most you can do is write a strong PS, get a good reference and apply. You should pick one or two universities that are a reach for you when you apply, 2 that are a good fit and one safety. That way, it doesn't matter if you get a rejection from one or two of them, since you'll still have others to fall back on.

Don't be discouraged, you could be one of the 50 that DO get chosen by Warwick. You never know what kind of students they're looking for that year.

A girl from my school who graduated last year is now studying PPE at Warwick. She didnt't get into Cambridge where she applied for a similiar course. Although she apparently onyl like the politics section of her course, not the philosophy or economics.

The most competitive courses are law and medicine, I supposed you can add PPE, Politics, Business and English to that list. In my mind, they're the most popular courses that people apply for.