EE Chemistry help! Oxidation of Butanol and Electrolysis of water.

Zach213

Hello, I need help deciding what topics to pursue. The topic I really want to do is how do the different isomers of butanol affect the yield of carboxylic acid in primary alcohol oxidation. I am planning to do some reflux experiments with this. Unfortunately, I thought this topic was well researched but it seems perhaps the mechanism has ok research but not the compound. So I am having research problems, but I can probably generate more theory since I essentially will talk about elements of molecular geometry that affect its oxidation. I have abundant ideas of further research topics for this if I down this route (ex. what if I use phenol or what if its the same formula but different pattern of bonds?). Currently, the research I have may suffice, but I will have to piece the research together (for example I have research talking about butanol as a compound, then combustion data..etc) to develop it to be adequate.

The other topic I feel uncomfortable with, but A LOT of research is written about it. It involves seeing the efficiency of hydrogen production when using a strong base or strong acid. If I go down this route, I will be conducting experiments of electrolysis. I have found abundant research for base electrolytes, but it feels kind of answered and I just have a faint idea of how I am going to discuss this in theory. I would love to hear your opinions and thanks too!