Going into Pre-Ib Grade 9 next year, what should i do this summerr?

Will905

Hey there, 

As a student who is going into DP Year 2 in a week, I can tell you that it is best to relax. Pre-ib is going to be a chill experience and there isn't really anything you should prep for. Just enjoy G9 & 10 and the time that you have before you really need to work in the DP. If you really want to look at some material, then I would recommend you to look at some basic Algebra, quadratics, exponents, etc for math and if you are in extended maths, try to do some harder problems whenever you learn something new. For the language courses that you take, learn some vocabulary beforehand and challenge yourself a little before returning to school (like Spanish, French, etc).

I don't know if you get a syllabus before G9 or if you get one at all, but try to look for typical coursework, for that year, online and try to prep/do the first few days of work (before doing it in class). This works really well if you have certain materials or textbooks that you use for class because you can always read a few chapters ahead and do a day's/2 days worth of work beforehand. If you want to do well, PAY ATTENTION! Be respectful in class and be nice to your teacher, they are your best bet for improving in anything (unless they are absolute dickheads and don't care about their students/subject). 

Generally, just try to participate in class and yes, it is tempting to joke around with friends but keep that to a minimum. Be as concise, clear and organized as you can be, stay slightly ahead, and meet your deadlines. That's basically the most important stuff. If you do that and hand everything in on time, teachers will know that you are hardworking and reliable, and it already gives you a few bonus points with grades (this is what  really helps you in DP)

Ps. try to do homework as much as you can. I know that there is a lot to do if 8 teachers give you half an hour of work every day, but at least finish some of the work or do it quickly. Mostly, homework is to help you learn and understand the topic, so just try to do it. And remember that you don't have to be perfect. Enjoy the MYP and good luck!

• Like 2

Hey!!

Welcome to Bayview haha, I’m entering grade 11, my first real year of IB in September. I remember when I was in your shoes, prepping for the so called prestigious program, Le IB. 

There really isn’t much to worry about as the teachers make the transition to high school really smooth. However, I would recommend going over some French, particularly grammar as that is a VERY big portion of French at Bayview. Other than that, there isn’t much you can prep for at the moment, so do have a good summer before high school!

I do have to warn you tho...math will come by very rough...for the first 1-3 tests, it’s very easy to get below your usual grade. (My class had a 60% average up until the second last test!) but don’t worry because you will pull through and at the end, everything will turn out just fine : )

My name’s Rebecca and I believe most of the teachers who are going to teach you will know me, so if you do ever need help in anything (I mean ANYTHING) don’t be afraid to ask me. Best of luck and hope to see you around!

As the commenters above have said, pre-IB should not be too stressful or worrying. At my school, it was basically the same as the academic courses, but with pre-IB students of course and the odd advanced lesson here and there. 

In general, do not worry too much and try to enjoy pre-IB, it is a fun experience before the actual and difficult IB years. Have fun and make friends with these people, IB cohorts tend to be small and the students tend to stick with each other, since you will be seeing them for the next four years on a regular basis.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, Rebecca1223 said:

Hey!!

Welcome to Bayview haha, I’m entering grade 11, my first real year of IB in September. I remember when I was in your shoes, prepping for the so called prestigious program, Le IB. 

There really isn’t much to worry about as the teachers make the transition to high school really smooth. However, I would recommend going over some French, particularly grammar as that is a VERY big portion of French at Bayview. Other than that, there isn’t much you can prep for at the moment, so do have a good summer before high school!

I do have to warn you tho...math will come by very rough...for the first 1-3 tests, it’s very easy to get below your usual grade. (My class had a 60% average up until the second last test!) but don’t worry because you will pull through and at the end, everything will turn out just fine : )

My name’s Rebecca and I believe most of the teachers who are going to teach you will know me, so if you do ever need help in anything (I mean ANYTHING) don’t be afraid to ask me. Best of luck and hope to see you around!

Thanks so much!

On 8/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Johanna_U said:

Hey there, 

As a student who is going into DP Year 2 in a week, I can tell you that it is best to relax. Pre-ib is going to be a chill experience and there isn't really anything you should prep for. Just enjoy G9 & 10 and the time that you have before you really need to work in the DP. If you really want to look at some material, then I would recommend you to look at some basic Algebra, quadratics, exponents, etc for math and if you are in extended maths, try to do some harder problems whenever you learn something new. For the language courses that you take, learn some vocabulary beforehand and challenge yourself a little before returning to school (like Spanish, French, etc).

I don't know if you get a syllabus before G9 or if you get one at all, but try to look for typical coursework, for that year, online and try to prep/do the first few days of work (before doing it in class). This works really well if you have certain materials or textbooks that you use for class because you can always read a few chapters ahead and do a day's/2 days worth of work beforehand. If you want to do well, PAY ATTENTION! Be respectful in class and be nice to your teacher, they are your best bet for improving in anything (unless they are absolute dickheads and don't care about their students/subject). 

Generally, just try to participate in class and yes, it is tempting to joke around with friends but keep that to a minimum. Be as concise, clear and organized as you can be, stay slightly ahead, and meet your deadlines. That's basically the most important stuff. If you do that and hand everything in on time, teachers will know that you are hardworking and reliable, and it already gives you a few bonus points with grades (this is what  really helps you in DP)

Ps. try to do homework as much as you can. I know that there is a lot to do if 8 teachers give you half an hour of work every day, but at least finish some of the work or do it quickly. Mostly, homework is to help you learn and understand the topic, so just try to do it. And remember that you don't have to be perfect. Enjoy the MYP and good luck!

Appreciate the advice! Thanks :)