Is it bad for US universities admissions if I take math studies concurrent with more advanced math?

ibenthusiast

Hello everyone, 

So my dilemma is like this. 

I'm a rising ibdp senior, and I want to major in computer science in university. I just finished math hl 1, and with it I took the AP Calculus BC exam. I passed the AP exam, and I feel like I have a reasonable understanding of year 1 calculus. With that in mind, I wanted to continue specifically with calculus and differential equations, as those relate closely with a cs degree. So this year I am taking Calc 3 (multivar) and Differential Equations 1 at my local university and am hoping to transfer those credits to whatever university I end up going to full time. 

So considering that I already have a rigorous college workload for math, I don't want to pile HL math on top of it. I feel like that would be an overwhelming amount of work. I also don't want to drop ib as I am on track for a decent ib diploma score. Since my school doesn't offer math sl, would it hurt my college application to be in math studies at my hs, even though I'm in much more advanced math concurrently? 

Sorry for the confusion here, it would be easier if I wasn't ibdp but I am and I don't want to quit it. 

Thanks, 

Ibenthusiast

It's good that you have Calc BC, it is bad that you have Studies. Taking Math Studies is essentially forgoing the opportunity and advantage of applying as an IB student. American universities will not accept Math Studies for CS. If you still have to apply to CS as an IB student, you should either stay at HL, or take SL online. It will make you look like that you take IB just to have it on your application, instead of wanting a challenge. Admission offices (and I personally) cannot comprehend why Math HL (with 30% Calc and 70% Pre-Calc) justifies giving up, but Multi/DiffEq is ok to pursue. 

Not to mention that Studies is 40% stats, with little overlap with HL. SL is bit better (eg online) but still questionable. I have taken Math HL, multi, and diff Eq, and I can say that Math HL was the most challenging (but obviously not the most advanced) of the three. Universities know that. It carries a great weight in strengthening your application. Personally I think either you should stay at HL and get I'm assuming easy 7, drop Calc 3; or take Calc 3 and drop IB to Certificate. IB Certificate means a lot more in US than elsewhere. Taking studies and Calc 3 is too weird that admissions will say "Something's up, let's not admit the student". 

• Like 1