Bayview Secondary/St Roberts Pre-IB entrance exam

astudent101

1 hour ago, Par13m said:

I don’t know if this counts but I’m in a swimming course for life guarding (Bronze med) and I do soccer. My instructor recommended me to start working at Kumon when I’m 14- I don’t think they do volunteering. Does playing instruments help in the application? (I play the piano and saxophone) Thank you so much! In York region they literally tell you nothing about the exam so thank you for the links! If I get more info on the exam ill tell you- one of the people in my swim class has taken in the exam last year so ill ask them. Have a nice rest of your day

Hey! So.. unfortunately I can't answer your questions. But.. I know who can! Just go to this thread that I created and ask the nice gentleman with the name 'ensurelikely'.

Have a great night! 

1 hour ago, Par13m said:

Here’s two books that may be good. Honestly, I can’t tell you for sure that they may help but they look promising. 8EEC39AC-2E96-49E5-94DA-1530DB265149.thumb.png.00885e3983b8415bcad259fab9279146.png

Thanks again for helping me look. I will dm you on this website since it's just the two of us active on this thread. 

I put the 2023 book for hold. The PSAT is good practice for english but not math. I worked through it with a tutor earlier today. So if you ever are struggling with english on this exam, I suggest the PSAT. Except Kumon english has a lot of stuff like that, so that's pretty good.

Edited by b4w3ja

3 hours ago, b4w3ja said:

oh yeah and also IB wants a well-rounded person since almost everyone that applies is good at math/reading. so to overcome that, i volunteer at Kumon & schoolhouse.world and make sure you play sports. i do badminton. not sure if toronto asks for a questionnaire like ottawa. ask your kumon instructor if you cn volunteer.

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/News/OCDSB News/2020/Nov/OCDSB IB Application Questionnaire.pdf - questionnaire ocdsb

https://www.ocdsb.ca/secondary/programs/international_baccalaureate___i_b__program - ib criteria ocdsb

Do you recommend volunteering before you give the ib entrance exam? Does it help with your exeptance. I live in vaughan and I'm 13 years old. Would I be able to volunteer?

On 8/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, Par13m said:

Tysm! This website has everything! Have a nice evening!

The book that I have attached below is a great way to prepare for the exam, most possibly one of the only ways. This book is a gem. I've had it for about 2 days and it has EVERYTHING! Not sure if the Toronto Public Library has it, but the Ottawa Public Library has 2 copies and one of it is available. So, if anyone reading lives in Ottawa, get this book.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 7.36.08 PM.png

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, smatboy said:

Wait, I've been reading this thread and I'm confused when you guys are taking the test.

I am assuming that you are looking at this thread because you are in York/Toronto and want to get in the school. I am in Ottawa (Ontario), and my exam is in late November/ beginning of December. The applications are due on Dec. 13. My school division only asks for a questionnaire, an essay, a math "exam" and a teacher reference (so far the year has gone well). Not sure about your school division. The most important part of your application is the activities you do (volunteering, sports, et cetera) and the teacher reference to find out what kind of person you are. There are some people who get good grades but don't have the best attitude.

23 hours ago, smatboy said:

Wait, I've been reading this thread and I'm confused when you guys are taking the test.

Hi! So if you are interested in going to bayview ss then I can help you. So there are 4 steps for applying- all of which you can find on the bayview ss website. There is an application- basically just ur personal information (address,etc) which is due by nov 7. Then there is a personal portfolio which is basically writing about three important artifacts in your life. If you are in yrdsb then your grade 7 report card will be sent automatically but if not then you will get an email on instructions how to send it. The final part is an Assessment. You will be given a prompt and will have 40 minutes to write about. As I have said if you are confused, the schools website is extremely helpful. Have a nice day!

On 10/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, Par13m said:

Hi! So if you are interested in going to bayview ss then I can help you. So there are 4 steps for applying- all of which you can find on the bayview ss website. There is an application- basically just ur personal information (address,etc) which is due by nov 7. Then there is a personal portfolio which is basically writing about three important artifacts in your life. If you are in yrdsb then your grade 7 report card will be sent automatically but if not then you will get an email on instructions how to send it. The final part is an Assessment. You will be given a prompt and will have 40 minutes to write about. As I have said if you are confused, the schools website is extremely helpful. Have a nice day!

when will you guys get your offer of placement?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, Par13m said:

Hi! I’m pretty sure we will get our results in January 

Did you guys finish the application process yet and did you have the entrance exam yet? If so, how were the questions like this year? I'm wondering since my entrance exam is next month.