Bayview Secondary/St Roberts Pre-IB entrance exam

astudent101

36 minutes ago, b4w3ja said:

in the yrdsb, do you guys also take the CAT like the ocdsb?

also, you should practice the Grade 9 Pascal from the CEMC website (sorry if i've already said this)

Honestly in yrdsb, the only thing I think I know is that for the English portion- all questions are multiple chose and there is an essay with an unknown topic (changes each year) I don’t know if that helps. Also thank you so much for the Grade 9 Pascal idea, it was very helpful. Sorry one question, how are you practicing for the French portion of the exam? Thank you again

34 minutes ago, Par13m said:

Honestly in yrdsb, the only thing I think I know is that for the English portion- all questions are multiple chose and there is an essay with an unknown topic (changes each year) I don’t know if that helps. Also thank you so much for the Grade 9 Pascal idea, it was very helpful. Sorry one question, how are you practicing for the French portion of the exam? Thank you again

Despite being the capital of Canada, Ottawa, doesn't make us do French in our exam which honestly surprises me. However, if I were in your place, I'd practice on Duolingo and join some french sessions on schoolhouse.world. Also, your exam seems like it will ask for word meanings for words like 'superfluous' or hard words like that. So what I would do is download the Vocabulary app and schedule the notifications to 30 times a day. It will send you new, and hard words to build your vocabulary.

Edited by b4w3ja

5 minutes ago, b4w3ja said:

Despite being the capital of Canada, Ottawa, doesn't make us do French in our exam which honestly surprises me. However, if I were in your place, I'd practice on Duolingo and join some french sessions on schoolhouse.world. Also, your exam seems like it will ask for word meanings for words like 'superfluous' or hard words like that. So what I would do is download the Vocabulary app and schedule the notifications to 30 times a day. It will send you new, and hard words to build your vocabulary.

Thank you so much, you are a life-saver! Good luck on your exam!

1 hour ago, b4w3ja said:

how are you studying for the english part?

I’m got 2 books from the library called McGraw-Hill’s 500 SAT reading, writing and language and McGraw-Hill SAT writing and language test & SAT essay. I also did ur suggestion for the vocabulary  app (btw thanks) On khan academy  there is a course for the SATs that I’m doing. https://www.khanacademy.org/login?continue=https%3A//www.khanacademy.org/mission/sat/exams 

If you search up entrance exam pratice questions there are a lot of pratice questions for the English part. There are also many tutors for the exam. I don’t know how it is in Ottawa but you can prob find a really good tutor. I searched up tutor for ib entrance exam and many businesses popped up. I may go to a tutor/business called “I can educate” -they help prepare for the exam.

Sorry that I wrote a lot but hoped this help! Have a nice day.

Just now, Par13m said:

I’m got 2 books from the library called McGraw-Hill’s 500 SAT reading, writing and language and McGraw-Hill SAT writing and language test & SAT essay. I also did ur suggestion for the vocabulary  app (btw thanks) On khan academy  there is a course for the SATs that I’m doing. https://www.khanacademy.org/login?continue=https%3A//www.khanacademy.org/mission/sat/exams 

If you search up entrance exam pratice questions there are a lot of pratice questions for the English part. There are also many tutors for the exam. I don’t know how it is in Ottawa but you can prob find a really good tutor. I searched up tutor for ib entrance exam and many businesses popped up. I may go to a tutor/business called “I can educate” -they help prepare for the exam.

Sorry that I wrote a lot but hoped this help! Have a nice day.

I also made a lists of books for the ib entrance exam that may help  5C71B022-8256-4A58-B763-8DDE5159EA92.jpeg.d4bb97f934e1372af88d69ef986ab497.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Par13m said:

I also made a lists of books for the ib entrance exam that may help  5C71B022-8256-4A58-B763-8DDE5159EA92.jpeg.d4bb97f934e1372af88d69ef986ab497.jpeg

thank you very much for the book suggestions! just make sure that you check the prices before you go because when you start they *might* make you take an ontario provincial test for $200-$300 and plus the hourly fees is absurd (my friends went to one here). also the SSAT is like the CAT exam, so that will help a lot. thank you and have a great day!

(I'm sorry for saying this again, and no I'm not promoting this, but schoolhouse.world has lots of free tutors.)

(also do you come on this website often?)

35 minutes ago, b4w3ja said:

thank you very much for the book suggestions! just make sure that you check the prices before you go because when you start they *might* make you take an ontario provincial test for $200-$300 and plus the hourly fees is absurd (my friends went to one here). also the SSAT is like the CAT exam, so that will help a lot. thank you and have a great day!

(I'm sorry for saying this again, and no I'm not promoting this, but schoolhouse.world has lots of free tutors.)

(also do you come on this website often?)

Y’a I saw the website and I am going sign up for a few tutors(Tyy) For this website, I have notifications to my email so when someone comments on one of my things or even on this “chat” I get an email. Thank you so much for everything -the advice and ideas, honestly ur one of the only people who’s helped me- the internet has literally nothing. Have a fantastic day! 

17 minutes ago, Par13m said:

Y’a I saw the website and I am going sign up for a few tutors(Tyy) For this website, I have notifications to my email so when someone comments on one of my things or even on this “chat” I get an email. Thank you so much for everything -the advice and ideas, honestly ur one of the only people who’s helped me- the internet has literally nothing. Have a fantastic day! 

Also I didn’t mention this for english I also go to Kumon (for math also) It’s very helpful for the exam I would say. I did the grade 7 guass math contest and Kumon math helped me a ton. Idk how this helps but if u arent already, I would recommend Kumon

( also not a sponsorship) 

edit: there is this one book in Toronto library. It’s taken and will be for a while but if you get ur hands on it, I think it will help a ton 8D678FEB-EFF6-4150-8149-2E600BB9B011.thumb.png.4080f74d2aa083533c68d522e0bae1be.png

Edited by Par13m

1 hour ago, Par13m said:

Also I didn’t mention this for english I also go to Kumon (for math also) It’s very helpful for the exam I would say. I did the grade 7 guass math contest and Kumon math helped me a ton. Idk how this helps but if u arent already, I would recommend Kumon

( also not a sponsorship) 

edit: there is this one book in Toronto library. It’s taken and will be for a while but if you get ur hands on it, I think it will help a ton 8D678FEB-EFF6-4150-8149-2E600BB9B011.thumb.png.4080f74d2aa083533c68d522e0bae1be.png

hey bro, i dont live in toronto so i cant rlly get that book. it would be super helpful if you could help me find some books at the ottawa public library. also i do kumon too! i am on level m in math and level k in reading. what levels are you on? i've done the grade 7 gauss as well as the math kangaroo since grade 5.

edit: if you have any questions regarding this assessment, theres a guy who replied to me on this website on another thread so you can ask him some questions. just open up MYP and scroll down to merivale hs.

thank you so much!

Edited by b4w3ja

oh yeah and also IB wants a well-rounded person since almost everyone that applies is good at math/reading. so to overcome that, i volunteer at Kumon & schoolhouse.world and make sure you play sports. i do badminton. not sure if toronto asks for a questionnaire like ottawa. ask your kumon instructor if you cn volunteer.

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/News/OCDSB News/2020/Nov/OCDSB IB Application Questionnaire.pdf - questionnaire ocdsb

https://www.ocdsb.ca/secondary/programs/international_baccalaureate___i_b__program - ib criteria ocdsb

Edited by b4w3ja

2 hours ago, b4w3ja said:

hey bro, i dont live in toronto so i cant rlly get that book. it would be super helpful if you could help me find some books at the ottawa public library. also i do kumon too! i am on level m in math and level k in reading. what levels are you on? i've done the grade 7 gauss as well as the math kangaroo since grade 5.

edit: if you have any questions regarding this assessment, theres a guy who replied to me on this website on another thread so you can ask him some questions. just open up MYP and scroll down to merivale hs.

thank you so much!

Wow, my Kumon isn’t as high as you. I’m on level J in math and K in reading. For the books, you can go to the library’s website and just search up SAT prep or IB program (maybe you will find something) But I can look for some for you. 

2 hours ago, b4w3ja said:

oh yeah and also IB wants a well-rounded person since almost everyone that applies is good at math/reading. so to overcome that, i volunteer at Kumon & schoolhouse.world and make sure you play sports. i do badminton. not sure if toronto asks for a questionnaire like ottawa. ask your kumon instructor if you cn volunteer.

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/News/OCDSB News/2020/Nov/OCDSB IB Application Questionnaire.pdf - questionnaire ocdsb

https://www.ocdsb.ca/secondary/programs/international_baccalaureate___i_b__program - ib criteria ocdsb

Here’s two books that may be good. Honestly, I can’t tell you for sure that they may help but they look promising. 8EEC39AC-2E96-49E5-94DA-1530DB265149.thumb.png.00885e3983b8415bcad259fab9279146.png

100DCB11-ACD3-4E9C-8364-4AA19C568D08.png