What Language B options does your school offer?

Vvi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
for language B my schools offered

first high school: Spanish SL and HL, Japanese SL, and French SL (not sure if they offered HL or not)

second high school: Spansih SL (only one student ever took the HL exam), French SL, and German SL

That's so unfair! I'm not getting my IB diploma because my school didn't offer IB Japanese! We only have Spanish and French SL/HL. Was your first high school public or private?

Mine too, all we have is spanish and french, nothing more. I don't think we've ever had other languages :(

Just French B over here, but only a handful of the DP students take it. We have one person who does Spanish A1 SL and another who does French A1 SL as a self study class, since those are what they consider their first language. Most of the DP students are either in French ab initio or Spanish ab initio.

Edited by Alphimeda

Guest Soiboist

English, Swedish, French, Spanish and German. As ordinary as it could be I would say. However barely anyone except for newly arrived foreigners take a B language as their second language. Most of the people choose A1 and A2.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah my school does french, german, japanese, spanish & mandarin all at both HL & SL except spanish which is only at SL because you can only take it if you're a beginner, they don't offer it before Yr12.

Another IB student from New Zealand? YAY!

Anyway, my school does pretty much the same thing, except we have Classical Latin at SL as well. Are you sure that your Spanish class is SL? I thought that you needed to have studied it beforehand to do anything besides ab initio.

• 3 weeks later...

English is required.

Spanish is offered at HL, SL, and ab initio.

French, Latin, and Mandarin are offered at SL.

Most people take Spanish because that is the most useful language in Texas (not to mention its core level of ease compared to English, and the fact we've been exposed to it all of our lives). I would like to take HL Spanish, but it doesn't fit for two years in my schedule so I settled with SL. Latin has its values but ehh. French and Mandarin also interest me though...maybe in college...

We have:

English A1 HL (required)

Spanish A2 SL/HL (pretty much only native speakers. I only know of one non-native speaker ever taking this course)

Spanish B SL/HL

Latin SL

French B SL/HL

Not many people choose to take their foreign language HL; we don't have enough room in our schedules as it is.

My school offers Spanish B, French B and English B, both at SL and HL. In my year 6 people take French B, and only 3 people take Spanish B (out of about 40 students in total). I think about 7 or 8 people take English B.

Edited by Loeszie.

yeah my school does french, german, japanese, spanish & mandarin all at both HL & SL except spanish which is only at SL because you can only take it if you're a beginner, they don't offer it before Yr12.

Another IB student from New Zealand? YAY!

Anyway, my school does pretty much the same thing, except we have Classical Latin at SL as well. Are you sure that your Spanish class is SL? I thought that you needed to have studied it beforehand to do anything besides ab initio.

At my school we have English B HL, French B SL and ab intio. Most of the people taking French B didn't know a thing of French before but we did an intensive course, maybe it was something like that :P.

(English B HL is a must for everyone, so those who take French in either level are taking it as the extra course instead Arts)

Well I live in Canada and you can take either french or German for Language B. Nothing else is offered. Unfortunetly, I was not informed that to take IB German you have to take German in grades 9 and 10 aswell. I've heard its an easier 2nd language for English speakers than french, but now I have to take french just because I was ill-informed. There are many kids in my IB class in this same situation. Japanese is offered at my school, but not at an IB level. I think that would've been fun to learn though : /

Just hoping french doesn't pull my Diploma score down too much though. It's definetly my worst subject.

Great thread though It's cool to see what is offered elsewhere!