Math Applications and Interpretation vs Analysis and Approaches

kw0573

14 hours ago, JustinLaw said:

Hi, i am a student in grade 11 and i am not sure what math to take because in grade 10 i was in geometry. I want to be a pilot when i grow up, I don"t know if i should take AA SL or AI HL because AI SL is too low and AA HL is too high for me. 

Hey! I've asked my math teachers and counselors about this. Depending on what flight school, some require HL AI and some require SL AA, AI is more for students who are strong at Algebra 2 and who are interested in math in a more practical than theoretical and the AA SL is similar to current SL but a bit harder, depending on yourself if you are strong and believe that you could do good in AI HL it's better, but the safe way is AA SL. Check the flight schools you want to go to and their requirements! Hope this helps :)

Depending on where you wanna go to if it's the UK, USA or Canada. If you're taking HL Chem and Bio, you should take math SL AA as well and you would be safe for most of the unis. Look at some of the universities you're thinking about going and look at their requirements. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, igene80 said:

Hi there, 

Thanks for all the information.

I am planning to take engineering in the future, and have opted for the Math A/A SL and Physics HL. Unfortunately, Math A/A HL may be needed to get into an engineering school; however, I think I might find HL quite difficult. The good news is I still have an opportunity to change the course, not sure what to do tbh. 

Let me tell you a brief background about me. I am currently in MYP5, and have started learning the Math SL syllabus, and have covered the following topics in SL: T1 - everything except for 1.3, T2 - nearly everything, T3 - everything, and T6 - differentiation and starting integration. 

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks :) 

I would suggest that you practice from the IB question banks or past papers (if you are really confident about your preparation) and try to take a few tests (with timed-conditions) to see where you stand at the moment. Also, Math AA HL would be required for STEM subjects like Engineering. You can try and have a feel of AAL HL for a few weeks. Its challenging but really fun.

But do decide your level after trying a few past paper. It would be easier to go down a level than go up. 

On 10/19/2019 at 7:40 AM, NisplayDame said:

How do the new IB classes compare to AP Statistics? I am currently in Analysis HL and AP Stats. Does AP Stats compensate for Analysis HL's low focus on statistics? My school only offers Approaches SL and Analysis HL.

I think statistics are a main focus of AI HL/SL math..

On 9/28/2019 at 6:44 AM, sdcibwqa said:

Ok. So basically i screwed up additional math(0606) (C-67) but got (A-86) in extended math (0580) a year before.

I took 0580 in Extended Math in June 2018, and the rest in June 2019

The rest of my grades are:

Cambridge IGCSE

Economics(0455)IGCSE A (85)

First Language English (Oral Endorsement)(0500)IGCSE A (82)

Chinese as a Second Language(0523)IGCSE A (84)

Additional Mathematics(0606)IGCSE C (67)

Music(0410)IGCSE B (76)

Computer Science(0478)IGCSE A (83)

World Literature(0408)IGCSE B (72)

Edexcel IGCSE

INTERNATIONAL GCSE: 4PH1 PHYSICS
UMS: 140/180

INTERNATIONAL GCSE: 4CH1 CHEMISTRY
UMS: 137/180

INTERNATIONAL GCSE: 4BI1 BIOLOGY
UMS: 140/180

Would I be able to do HL math, and if I manage to work really had and get a decent grade, would my Additional Math grade affect my university acceptance. I'm not very sure what I want to in terms of career choice, but I am leaning towards the sciences. I am considering medicine, but I understand the field is super competitive...

Any advice?

Where do you intend to study medicine? If you plan to stay in Canada you don't need math HL at all! Most (if not all) Canadian universities pre-med programs require biology and chemistry as pre-requisites. I would suggest taking AA SL and spending more time to get high score in bio/chem HL instead. Our school advisor told the same things to all students who want to go the pre-med route.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the great conversation.  Question regards the right preparation for entry to HL IB Math AA or AI.  My son is in the United States and entering 10th grade in an IB school. From what I can see, the pre-requisites for either math class are Geometry and Algebra 2, which he has taken in 9th grade.  For 10th grade math, was thinking about taking AP Statistics vice continuing with Pre Calculus in 10th grade.  Does the first year of HL IB Math cover pre-calculus concepts sufficiently?  Would being away from that type of math (Algebra 2/PreCalc) for the 10th grade year (and instead taking AP Statistics) create a major problem in the 11th grade in your estimation?  If this sounds like a workable path, does having the extra AP Statistics background influence a recommendation between either AA or AI?  Thanks for your time.

Edited by jeb

3 hours ago, jeb said:

Thanks for the great conversation.  Question regards the right preparation for entry to HL IB Math AA or AI.  My son is in the United States and entering 10th grade in an IB school. From what I can see, the pre-requisites for either math class are Geometry and Algebra 2, which he has taken in 9th grade.  For 10th grade math, was thinking about taking AP Statistics vice continuing with Pre Calculus in 10th grade.  Does the first year of HL IB Math cover pre-calculus concepts sufficiently?  Would being away from that type of math (Algebra 2/PreCalc) for the 10th grade year (and instead taking AP Statistics) create a major problem in the 11th grade in your estimation?  If this sounds like a workable path, does having the extra AP Statistics background influence a recommendation between either AA or AI?  Thanks for your time.

I'm not sure how the school system in the USA works, is the 10th grade already the IBY1 or is 11th the IBY1 (and so in 10th he won't have IB classes yet)?

I think your son shouldn't base the choice on the classes he takes, e.g. AP Statistics being a recommendation for AA or AI. He should, first of all, think of what will be more useful for university/career or what he is interested in more.

I don't know about the level of AP classes, but HL AA has a rather low focus on statistics, so if he decides to choose this, AP Statistics won't be very useful for the course itself probably.

When it comes to pre-calculus, it has to be developed on a sufficient level to do calculus then in HL Maths, not all of this might take place in Y1, though. If for 11th grade you mean solely IBY2 and the continuation of HL Maths(that he's not gonna be taking AP calculus or something like), then it should be fine in my opinion as the IB system is created in such a way that it can be the only system that a student is studying in high school, so has to prepare the students for the demands of the whole course.

I am Pre-IB entering 10th grade (in the States) but will be taking IB Math starting this year. In 9th grade I was in Algebra 2 Honors and made a C the first nine weeks. The teacher suggested I move down to Algebra 2 Regular and I made 98’s or higher for the last three nine weeks. The school is going to place me in AI SL, but I need Calculus prior to college. Will AI SL prep me enough to take AP Calc senior year or should I ask to be moved to AA SL and tough it out?

5 hours ago, beachvibes said:

I am Pre-IB entering 10th grade (in the States) but will be taking IB Math starting this year. In 9th grade I was in Algebra 2 Honors and made a C the first nine weeks. The teacher suggested I move down to Algebra 2 Regular and I made 98’s or higher for the last three nine weeks. The school is going to place me in AI SL, but I need Calculus prior to college. Will AI SL prep me enough to take AP Calc senior year or should I ask to be moved to AA SL and tough it out?

I'm pretty sure AI syllabus doesn't contain any calculus or pre-calculus, they do very basic functions only, so I wouldn't say it'll be sufficient. if there is such a chance (and IB scores don't matter to you that much), it makes sense for you to ask to be moved to AA SL.

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, hissu said:

This was helpful!

I'm starting ib next fall and I'm currently trying to figure out which math would suit my future plans. I'm inetersted in studying economics/finance etc. I'm guessing A/I HL would be best for economics but I wouldn't want math to consume my whole life.. 😕 I think I could manage A/I HL but not A/A HL (the ib considers it to be the closest to the old HL). Therefore I'm still thinking about A/A SL. 

If you have an opinion on what I should do it would be super helpful! Thanks

Hey! Im planning to study econ and business. what did you end up choosing and how was it? Im not perfect w math so aa hl would be too hard. I would be really grateful if u shared ur experience hehe!

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I'm a little confused about this topic.

I want to study mechanical physics and aerospace engineering.

Nowadays, I'm in IB1 I have done 1 term, and I studied aa sl but I think I have to change to hl. But I'm not sure, 'cause I'm not so good at maths as I would want.

my other subjects are physics hl, business management hl Spanish A literature and sth more I don't remember hl maths SL chemistry SL English B SL. If I change I will drop Spanish to sl

In this term, I get a 3 in maths SL, but the teacher told me that I have experimented with a good progression this term. Last year, I got a 9/10 in maths but it isn't from MYP, it was from the Spanish curriculum, and honestly, I think it's a bit easy, it doesn't have the level of the ib maths.

I didn't get at first in hl, because I'm new in this school and the ib coordinator of my school told me that she doesn't recommend me to do hl if I don't go to apply to USA or Canada, and in those dates, I didn't look for universities, now yes, and I think I could be great for my curriculum and it gives me more chances to get admitted. but I don't know what to do, I didn't tell you my decision to my teachers. what do you think I should do?

The only thing I know is that it will be hard for me hl and probably I will get frustrated with my grades in the subject, but if it is the best for me I should do that.

and just for it helps, my #1 goal is to get admitted to MIT.

what do you think? please help me to make a decision.

• 3 months later...

Is Vue.js utilized for front-end advancement? Indeed, however not the only one, as it is predominantly about the rationale of the application, and not about the appearance. In mix with UI, the system improves interface, making your application more appealing and useful. It shows noteworthy outcomes in collaboration with Quasar, Element UI, Bootstrap, and others. Numerous designers are involving Vue.js for application creation - it is advantageous and moderate. It is not difficult to get into the point and begin working with in any event, for the amateurs, and thorough documentation demonstrates it. Straightforwardness and adaptability help to apply the structure to various ventures, for making intricate and simple applications. Advantages of Vue.js make it well known among the designers and it is additionally helpful for the clients.

Source:  https://mobilunity.com/blog/vuejs-vs-angular/

Edited by EthanBrickman