IA chemistry activation energy?

Ro5014

Hello,

has anyone there done an IA in chemistry about activation energy and could share some tips or their marks with me?

I have a topic of
What is the activation energy of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in presence of catalase, by measuring the time
taken for 10cm3 of oxygen gas to be evolved at different temperatures?

Either at different temp or also without catalase and with MnO2?
My justification, in brief, is that H2O2 is present in cells and catalase is needed to break it down so that it isn't harmful and therefore low activation point is important (and I want to see a) what it is b) alternatively how does it compare to reaction without catalase). My teacher says that it's not really a good topic because there's no reason for this experiment and perhaps I should at least compare it with catalysts that include elements that are in human body, but there aren't really such as for example we're better off without Pb in our body.

What do you think?

• 2 years later...
On 5/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, Ro5014 said:

Hello,

has anyone there done an IA in chemistry about activation energy and could share some tips or their marks with me?

I have a topic of
What is the activation energy of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in presence of catalase, by measuring the time

My justification, in brief, is that H2O2 is present in cells and catalase is needed to break it down so that it isn't harmful and therefore low activation point is important (and I want to see a) what it is b) alternatively how does it compare to reaction without catalase). My teacher says that it's not really a good topic because there's no reason for this experiment and perhaps I should at least compare it with catalysts that include elements that are in human body, but there aren't really such as for example we're better off without Pb in our body.

What do you think?

hey i was wondering if you could share your ia with me cuz im doing a similar thing cuz the results im getting by using time taken for evolution of oxygen gas is like way off from the literature values like 99 percent percentage error, i wanna see if im missing anything really important in my methodology ( though i don.t think i am)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 5:01 PM, Ro5014 said:

Hello,

I have a topic of

What do you think?

first of all, your approach resembles more of a biology ia than a chemistry one, particularly bc you mentioned extensively regarding human body and cells. so if you write your ia, try investigate into the mechanism of activation energy and chemical reaction of breaking down hydrogen peroxide.