How to solve Physics Paper 1 questions???

Allemande135

I am really stuck on how to solve these questions and I don't understand why the mark scheme says that the answers for question 8, 12 and 14 are A, A and D, respectively. I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/tips!! These questions are from the Paper 1 in May 2018 Timezone 2.

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 14.36.13.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 14.36.07.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 14.33.11.png

14. Let t be the time for the slower wave takes to reach detector; the faster wave takes t - 15

5(t) = 7.5(t - 15) (distance traveled by both waves is the same).

t = 45

5 km/s * 45 s = 225 km

12. Temperature and internal energy are related to average kinetic energy of the molecules (that is, kinetic energy with respect to center of mass). Since only the center of mass is moving, and we are not shaking the container, there is no change in temperature and no change in internal energy.

8. The net force of system  = total mass of system * net acceleration

Net force is the weight, W. Total mass is M and the mass of the weight, or W/g, and net acceleration is a.

W = (M + W / g) * a

W (1 - a/g) = Ma

W = Ma / (g/g - a/g)

W = Mag / (g - a)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2019 at 11:17 AM, kw0573 said:

14. Let t be the time for the slower wave takes to reach detector; the faster wave takes t - 15

5(t) = 7.5(t - 15) (distance traveled by both waves is the same).

t = 45

5 km/s * 45 s = 225 km

12. Temperature and internal energy are related to average kinetic energy of the molecules (that is, kinetic energy with respect to center of mass). Since only the center of mass is moving, and we are not shaking the container, there is no change in temperature and no change in internal energy.

8. The net force of system  = total mass of system * net acceleration

Net force is the weight, W. Total mass is M and the mass of the weight, or W/g, and net acceleration is a.

W = (M + W / g) * a

W (1 - a/g) = Ma

W = Ma / (g/g - a/g)

W = Mag / (g - a)

I have the same question but regarding to question 8.

I saw your answers and they're great! There's just something that I can't understand in question 8; how do we solve for W?

I am struggling to understand how we get Mag at the top and why we have to g's.

If possible, can you show how to solve for W? I would really appreciate it, I can't find the answer.

• 6 months later...