How to study for HL Math and SL Physics

Nao Matsumoto

Hello, 

So I have my IB exam in less than two months. How should I study for HL Math? I currently have the Haese Harris book but I feel that it doesn't really cover exam type questions and its quite time consuming. Thus, I feel like past paper exams are helpful. I believe the same applies to Physics. The tsoko's books aren't super useufl when it comes to IB style exam questions. Any advice? Cheers. 

• Hey, I am currently in DP1 doing Maths & Physics HL.... so maybe not the best guy to answer the question. However, I think the best way get ready for your exams is by doing more and more past paper, cuz that's what I did to prepare for my class tests. I also consider the cambridge textbook... but I don't know if it'll help for examination or "IB" exam like questions, but general class test it could be useful. 
  • I can suggest you going online and practise from https://revisionvillage.com, there are a lot of useful practises and IB type questions and they are recognized by the IB, so that's something. If u want you can buy the gold version to access their premium topics and practises and even get a revision and prediction pack for the May 2019 exams. 

Hope it helps! 

BTW, my calculus HL - basic differentiation assessment is coming this coming Tuesday... u got any advice???

Edited by Kil- STRO
  • Like 2

Yh, well I'd boomerang your advice to you. You'll need past paper for predicted grades when you apply to uni. Cuz the teachers are all gonna base their subject tests on past paper. They tell you not to revise with it, cuz it may be considered cheating in a way that you already know the answers beforehand. But hey, it's best to adapt with IB exam style questions. 

4 hours ago, Nao Matsumoto said:

Yh, well I'd boomerang your advice to you. You'll need past paper for predicted grades when you apply to uni. Cuz the teachers are all gonna base their subject tests on past paper. They tell you not to revise with it, cuz it may be considered cheating in a way that you already know the answers beforehand. But hey, it's best to adapt with IB exam style questions. 

True.... I have been doing past papers a lot, and questioned whether it was ethical or not. But, in the end I am gonna give the IB exam, whether I like it or not, hence past paper is the way to go. Sometimes, even if you do past papers, you don't get to do all of them. In fact teachers has a whole archive of paper since before 1980s, right? So they tend to give questions from all over the time, so may be 1 or 2 question comes from the questions I practiced, but the rest is just unknown. So in the end... it's still a challenge. 

For Math HL, definitely focus on a good mix of past papers and general concepts. The exams can be a little unpredictable, and I recommend using the past exams to find out the areas you need to work on, and then go back to learning the theory and make sure you have a solid foundations of the concepts and formulas. Paper 3 can also be surprisingly sneaky, so definitely do not overlook the option you took.

Physics SL is rather straightforward. A look over the notes and some practice exams should do the trick.

• Like 1