Good day,

I have to perform an FOA and I decided to use the Malala speech to analyse. I have been confused  to whether this is linked to part 1 or part 2 of the course.

So which part of the course would this particular FOA idea be more relevant to link to? Is the analysis of a speech supposed to be for part 1 or part 2 of the course?  With which learning outcomes and topic (possibly)?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you solve your problem? Much depends on what you aim to do. The outcomes follow from this. Sounds like you need to refer to Part 1 for this. Part 2 is for Mass media topics, but if you are analysing and studying this (while using the Malala speech) then you would be referring to Part 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voh26 said:

Did you solve your problem? Much depends on what you aim to do. The outcomes follow from this. Sounds like you need to refer to Part 1 for this. Part 2 is for Mass media topics, but if you are analysing and studying this (while using the Malala speech) then you would be referring to Part 2.

If it’s for part 1 then the topic would be ‘Language and power’ with the learning outcome ‘Analyse how audience and purpose affect the structure and content of texts.’. If it’s for part 2 then the topic would be ‘Persuasive Language in Political speeches’ with the learning outcome ‘Show an awareness of the potential for educational, political or ideological influence of the media.’ Or ‘Show the way mass media use language and image to inform, persuade, or entertain.’

Now, is the Malala speech (2013) for the UN considered as a political speech? Because whenever I look at examples for part 2 topic about speeches and FOAs, I literally never saw any example of a non-presidential speeches, all of them was about individuals aiming to be elected for president.

However, I am supposed to analyse the speech, but wouldn’t it be analysing for both parts (just the focus of the analysis would be a little different for part 1&2)?