The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

After the interview, I was told that I would be contacted by Xmas of whether I was accepted or not, etc etc by the uni (Oxford)..

Christmas has come and gone, and no news whatsoever! A friend who took the interview a week later (she was applying to another course, another school) wasn't told of the xmas deadline, but she got an emial with a pdf letter of rejection..

My question is.. what could have happened with my letter?? Should I send an email asking? or should I just wait??

I'm getting quite nervous here, checking my email every few minutes, as soon as I wake up etc.. :D

thanks!

x Bee

The colleges operate on their own schedules, which sometimes differ from what they say. For examplelast year I was told by Christ's College Cambridge that I'd receive information in early January, but I got my offer already on 29th December. On the other hand some other colleges sent the offers much later. It might also mean that your decision is taking longer, since I think they might not give all their offers in one go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if any of you were canadian students that applied to oxford or cambridge?

That may not even matter though, just wondering what the requirements are and if there is any extra tests or requirements needed like for example sat's in the states.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am set to start the IB in September 2010 and am intending to apply for Mathematics with Physics at Cambridge come 2012. I looks set to take Maths, Physics and Economics at HL and Further Maths, English and French at SL. What I was wondering is whether it would make more sense taking Further Maths (as I currently am) or, instead, take Chemistry at HL instead of Further Maths SL, thereby demoting Economics to SL for the degree course I wish to take.

On a side note, I will be part of the first IB cohort to go through my school - how much of a hindrance is this if I want to get into Cambridge (where the offers are ridiculously high), since I have heard that it's all about experience with the IB)

Many thanks :P

PS. This is my first post! ;)

Welcome to IBS. Personally, I think that the subjects you're taking now are just fine.

It's not about the experience but more about the predicted grades, personal statement and the interview. Predicted grades and personal statement get you an interview, your offer to Cambs depends on the success of your interview.

• 4 weeks later...

Your subjects look fine. Further math is probably more suitable than chemistry, but on the other hand it is very hard and Cambridge accepts IB students with only math HL. However, considering that your school is new to IB further math might be a better choice than chemistry since it allows less room for teacher to mess it up. It is pretty hard to say in advance how a new school is going to cope with the IB system. The riskiest part is the IA since the instructions and guidance given to students depends hugely on teachers. So especially for a new student I would advice reading the marking scheme very well, going through old IA's, exam papers etc. to know what the markers are looking for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am set to start the IB in September 2010 and am intending to apply for Mathematics with Physics at Cambridge come 2012. I looks set to take Maths, Physics and Economics at HL and Further Maths, English and French at SL. What I was wondering is whether it would make more sense taking Further Maths (as I currently am) or, instead, take Chemistry at HL instead of Further Maths SL, thereby demoting Economics to SL for the degree course I wish to take.

On a side note, I will be part of the first IB cohort to go through my school - how much of a hindrance is this if I want to get into Cambridge (where the offers are ridiculously high), since I have heard that it's all about experience with the IB)

Many thanks :')

PS. This is my first post! :')

Cambridge usually requires 42~41 points for applicants. (providing that you got a conditional offer!)

Taking further maths will make it harder to get 42~41 points. Realistically, unless you find Maths HL 'easy', do not take Further maths. It will mess up your brain. (you know everything but you cannot answer the question! and that really happens!)

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of studying veterinary science in Oxbridge.

I am starting IB this coming september, subjects are:

HL:

Biology

Chemistry

Psychology

SL:

English A1

Chinese A2

Mathematics

I was wondering if I should do Math studies. I seriously am not too good with maths. However, if I do studies, it might be a soft-subject with Oxbridge, BUT it will most definitely allow me to get a 6 or 7. For SL, it'll sap up my time and energy, and may risk my overall grade to be lower.

Any suggestions?

Dr. Polaris I definitely advice you to do at least math SL and not math studies. I don't know about Oxford (but the information should be easy to find at their webpage), but at least Cambridge prefers science/math subjects at A-level, therefore you should be able to deduce that at least Mathematics SL is what they want you to have as an IB subject. Vet medicine is a science subject, therefore mathematical skills are most certainly valued.

If you really want to get in you shouldn't knowingly put yourself into disadvantage at this stage by taking math studies.

As a further note physics HL might be more worthwile for vet med than psychology, but it is of course very mathematical and challenging (and your school might not offer it,I don't know), but you might want to consider that too.

Also remember you are just starting IB, you don't have to be fixed yet about what and where to study so nothing is written in stone.

My school offers everything, but now it turns out that the 6 people who have the..worst marks in math will be put into studies, along with the people who chose studies. This is because there are in total 22 people who want to do SL, and only 2 for studies.

I thought we weren't allowed to take 3 science subjects. And I despise physics, even physics Studies, which dos not exist, will be too much for me. I still don't understand why it is needed for med. subjects

• 2 weeks later...