IA research question Help!!!

flyingmandarines

Hi! I'm doing my IA on Mao Tse Tung's politics on women, around 1930-1950. The most interesting and relevant thing I could find was the cause and consequence of the Law of Marriage in China implemented during his government, but I don't know how to make it up to be a question.

I want to research the different reactions that this controversial law had and how the role of women changed, so if anyone could have some idea of how to compose it, it would be amazing! thanks.

Hey there! Saw your post in the Activity section. I might not know what to do with my own IA topic, but I think I may be of some help here :)

2 hours ago, flyingmandarines said:

if anyone could have some idea of how to compose it, it would be amazing! thanks.

"compose it" as in compose the question or the essay?

If it's the question: "To what extent did X cause Y" or something simple like that should be sufficient. (e.g. To what extent was the role of women changed after the introduction of the Law of Marriage in China?") If you decide to focus your question a bit more you could adjust the format to accommodate.

If it's the essay: Perhaps you could examine different groups of women (e.g. social classes), and how their lives were impacted by the Law of Marriage? You could also look at how the culture itself was changed by the law (or how, in some ways, how it remained unchanged. I am Chinese, and I know for a fact that some men with higher standings in modern China have started to take in "xiao san", a colloquial term literally translated "little three." It's basically the "other woman," but it's similar to the concubinage that was the norm in the past, although concubines were formally recognized. Would maybe be an interesting point to note how the masses still hold the past standard in their collective memory.) Maybe you could even examine how different groups of men reacted to the laws. Maybe do a brief bit of compare/contrast to the Western feminism movement, although you probably wouldn't want to focus on that too too much. 

There's a lot of interesting stuff you could investigate. Good luck, and hope this helped!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheepsie said:

Hey there! Saw your post in the Activity section. I might not know what to do with my own IA topic, but I think I may be of some help here :)

"compose it" as in compose the question or the essay?

If it's the question: "To what extent did X cause Y" or something simple like that should be sufficient. (e.g. To what extent was the role of women changed after the introduction of the Law of Marriage in China?") If you decide to focus your question a bit more you could adjust the format to accommodate.

If it's the essay: Perhaps you could examine different groups of women (e.g. social classes), and how their lives were impacted by the Law of Marriage? You could also look at how the culture itself was changed by the law (or how, in some ways, how it remained unchanged. I am Chinese, and I know for a fact that some men with higher standings in modern China have started to take in "xiao san", a colloquial term literally translated "little three." It's basically the "other woman," but it's similar to the concubinage that was the norm in the past, although concubines were formally recognized. Would maybe be an interesting point to note how the masses still hold the past standard in their collective memory.) Maybe you could even examine how different groups of men reacted to the laws. Maybe do a brief bit of compare/contrast to the Western feminism movement, although you probably wouldn't want to focus on that too too much. 

There's a lot of interesting stuff you could investigate. Good luck, and hope this helped!

Hi! Thanks so much for your response!

Well, I'm thinking of doing the reaction of different groups of people (such as different group of men, different group of women, depending on social classes or ages (I also discovered that mothers-in-law were against the law because of what the feudal system let them do about controlling their daughters in law.)) So I would probably investigate about how their lives changed after the Law of Marriage and how they reacted to it.