Extended essay topic question ( world studies)

stealthyfighter

Hello, 

As I am doing my world studies EE research, I came across a few obstacles. For my world studies essay, (which requires 2 subjects to approach a topic) I want to approach the biological and societal effects of using a gene editing technology called CRISPR in modifying and killing off mosquitos that carry Malaria.

There's a global project going on called project target malaria, that has already conducted lab experiments and have proved that mosquito populations with malaria can be reduced. However what has left me rather confused is if I can approach the topic the way I want to. I want to explore what would happen in society and ecosystems if this global project does what it aims to.

My research would be based on previous information (such as the role of mosquitos in ecosystems) and apply it to answer my question. And this brings me to ask: Is this topic too hypothetical? Should my topic entail something that has already been accomplished?

All advice would be appreciated :)