Should I drop HL maths

keeley45733

i am mathematically inclined and am also taking HL physics which I don't find that hard so far 

But we've only just started YR.1 and I feel like the dumbest person in my class 

Should I drop it and move up Econ or push through because we've only just started

I can do most of the hmwk fine up until we get to the exam like questions 

You have just started the IB, it is waaaaay too early to judge your abilities when it comes to the HL course. The jump to HL from MYP/IGCSE is massive, and you shouldn't worry purely because you feel like you don't understand everything straight away. Trust me, many others feel the same way, but probably are too afraid to show it! In my class, almost everyone dipped at the start of year 1. By going from 90%+ each time in grade 10 to less than 50% in grade 11 was shocking at first, but it was due to the pace and difficulty of the course. 

Wait at least six months before you decide to drop out of HL maths. You will always have time to drop, but dropping and then trying to go back to HL would be much, much more difficult. 

Plus there's a bonus point - when you drop later on, SL maths will seem much easier 😛 

• Thanks 1

I have to say that for people traditionally good at math, Math HL is not a question of ability. It is a matter of how fast you adjust to the system.

It is in this light that schools offering pre-IB may score better than MYP or GCSE. Depends on how important Math HL is to your studies or self-esteem, you may decide to leave or stay. But remember that if you want to (and have reasonably enough time) you can always do HL if you have enough access to resources, eg good books, helpful problems.

• Thanks 1