MayaIAm

Hey guys, 

I’m in my first year of the IBDP (eight months in), and would like to know when you recommend I start my IAs. I’d really appreciate it if you explained why you chose the dates you chose for each subject (e.g. maths IA during November because the content is a lot...). I don’t know if that’s true it’s just an example.

Please keep in mind that I take exams on Nov 2019 so I begin school on January. Also, my subjects are:

Biology, Chemistry, English Lang and Lit. - HL

Mathematics, French ab initio, History - SL

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

It's never too early to brainstorm ideas. Topics like bio, chem, and math you may need to have a very strong understanding to score well. Just research ideas and if it touches upon topics you haven't covered (eg calculus, organic) then just ask your teacher for guidance. 

Definitely, it's never too early to start. But I take a few of your subjects too, so I'll tell you how mine worked out. BTW, I am a northern hemisphere student, so I start my year in August and end in early June.

English is four written task and a few more oral things... (FOA, IOC) Our teacher started us quite early on the written tasks, a few months into our first year. That was a good move, because you have to complete quite a few things, not just one big thing. I don't think English written tasks take too much effort since you don't have to research for them. FOAs are a pain but with a teacher who isn't insanely strict you can get by without having done much. 

I take Bio SL but even that was a serious pain. Our teacher only gave us a month to complete the entire first draft, experiment and all, and it took me forever to come up with a viable topic/RQ. Definitely start thinking about the RQ early! Go through all possible limitations before starting your experiment, I rushed mine and the experiment sucked. Take your time with working out the kinks. I did this a month before my summer holidays started I think.

Can't really say anything about Chemistry or Maths... I do take French but our teacher is letting us do the whole thing in class time, so I can't help with that either. Doesn't look too difficult yet though.

I'm a History HL student and I can't remember how different the IA requirements were, but start this early. You don't have to complete it early, but I feel as if the research for this should take you a good long while. Space it out like a mini EE honestly. Our teacher gave us a period of about five months in spring to complete the first and final submissions. 

Hope this helped and good luck!