IB subject choices

Eliyah

Hey, I am going to start IB in September 2018 and I have chosen my IB subjects, but I can still change them.

IB subjects:
HL Chemistry

HL Business

HL English

SL Math

SL Physics

SL French

What jobs correlate with these subject choices? I am interested in chemical, biomedical engineering, petroleum engineering still open to computer engineering but not as interested.

What subjects should I change around for my choice? Is my subject choices fine? Etc.

If you want to go to a top university/college for engineering, I would advise taking either Maths or Physics at HL (if not both). It's better to have two science HLs if you want to pursue a career in engineering. However, it's not a requirement, it would just give you an advantage if you score well in your science HLs. So, your subject choice is fine if you think that's the best combination for you, but you can improve it by having more science HLs. 

Both Business and English HL are quite a lot of work. The difference between SL and HL is not much for both subjects, it's just a matter of the workload. Are you doing English Lit, Language or both?

For you to decide, think about which subject you enjoy more between Business and English. Also think about the one you will perform better at. Keep the one you like more and are better at HL and drop the other one to SL. If there isn't a difference between the two for you, Business is more irrelevant in engineering than English, simply because it's always useful to have language proficiency, so consider dropping Business to SL.

Business is less relevant for me I agree. And I am doing HL English language and literature. However, once I drop Busines to SL, I have the opportunity to choose SL economics. Economics is only offered at SL in my school for one year vs. SL Business for two years. Shall I switch to economics instead?

If they do Economics SL in one year, it means that you will have a lot to do in one year (as you are cramming a two-year course in one year) but then you will have a more relaxed year too. If you do Business SL, your two years will have a balanced amount of work. Again, do the one that interests you the most or you think you will do better at. If you choose to do Economics in one year, you should have the discipline and work ethic to spend more time on your other 5 subjects once you finish Economics instead of wasting the time you would've had for a sixth subject. Either way, it's a matter of deciding if you prefer a balanced two years or a hectic year followed by a calmer one.

Actually in my opinion, The HL subjects which you can take:

Business, English and Physics

The SL subjects which you can take are:

Math Studies( which is comparatively easier than math SL), Chemistry and French.

These subjects can be chosen if you are taking some kind of Arts or into Fashion Designing.

2 hours ago, IBZOMBIE9840 said:

Actually in my opinion, The HL subjects which you can take:

Business, English and Physics

The SL subjects which you can take are:

Math Studies( which is comparatively easier than math SL), Chemistry and French.

These subjects can be chosen if you are taking some kind of Arts or into Fashion Designing.

I would strongly recommend against choosing Maths Studies since you are interested in engineering. It depends on the country you choose to study, but several universities, especially the good ones, will have at least Maths SL as a requirement. More importantly, the mathematics taught at engineering undergraduate level are not easy, meaning that you should be as prepared as possible, and Maths Studies does not prepare you as well compared to Maths SL or HL. Although the subject selection IBZOMBIE9840 is less work than the one I proposed, it will not prepare you as well for engineering in the future and may even put you at a disadvantage if you try to apply to good universities. It really depends on what you want to study in the future and how willing you are to work hard for it.

20 hours ago, AndresLopez said:

I would strongly recommend against choosing Maths Studies since you are interested in engineering. It depends on the country you choose to study, but several universities, especially the good ones, will have at least Maths SL as a requirement. More importantly, the mathematics taught at engineering undergraduate level are not easy, meaning that you should be as prepared as possible, and Maths Studies does not prepare you as well compared to Maths SL or HL. Although the subject selection IBZOMBIE9840 is less work than the one I proposed, it will not prepare you as well for engineering in the future and may even put you at a disadvantage if you try to apply to good universities. It really depends on what you want to study in the future and how willing you are to work hard for it.

But i told this only if that person is interested in choosing arts or designing

If that person is interested i would say:

HL Subjects:

Physics,  Chemistry, Maths

SL subjects:

English A, Business , French

IF you would like this combination

1 hour ago, IBZOMBIE9840 said:

But i told this only if that person is interested in choosing arts or designing

If that person is interested i would say:

HL Subjects:

Physics,  Chemistry, Maths

SL subjects:

English A, Business , French

IF you would like this combination

Isn't that an overload of work? Doing HL Math, Physics and Chemistry would most likely lead to a poor score in the IB. Chemistry is really the main IB subject for Chemical Engineering so bringing HL Physics and HL Math seems unnecessary, I'm fine with HL Physics and HL chemistry though. 

2 hours ago, Eliyah said:

Isn't that an overload of work? Doing HL Math, Physics and Chemistry would most likely lead to a poor score in the IB. Chemistry is really the main IB subject for Chemical Engineering so bringing HL Physics and HL Math seems unnecessary, I'm fine with HL Physics and HL chemistry though. 

It would bring your scores down if you aren't that good at those subjects. There are people who can get 7s in Math HL easily, but struggle to get a 5 in English Lit SL. It depends on your strengths and weaknesses. HL Maths, Physics and Chem would be the ideal combination for engineering, but you don't have to do it if you don't think you can do well. The minimum you should do is have 2 of those 3 subjects at HL level.

3 hours ago, Eliyah said:

It might be an overload if you don't understand the concepts but when you start to understand it will be easy and all the concepts will be easy and also you can ace your examinations anything might  happen you could have done well and you get 7 in all the three subjects. It's just a piece of advice from my side. Taking these combinations will be your choice.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2018 at 9:53 PM, Lee33 said:

I want to practice Law. I'm taking 

English Lang and Lit HL

French SL

Theatre SL

Math SL

Computer Studies HL

Psychology HL

Thoughts?

instead of taking computer studies. you can take something easy like ITGS and do a lot of MUN's. Which will increase your potential of practising law

• Thanks 1