Going into jr year and class choices are due in a few weeks, please respond and thank you in advance to the ppl that do

What sciences should I take and at what level if I wanna go into engineering or medical. Like what would be the best base for college? Also at what level should I take math?

^ 2 HL spots and 1 SL

2 hours ago, keeley45733 said:

Going into jr year and class choices are due in a few weeks, please respond and thank you in advance to the ppl that do

What sciences should I take and at what level if I wanna go into engineering or medical. Like what would be the best base for college? Also at what level should I take math?

^ 2 HL spots and 1 SL

The first thing you should check is HL requirements for either some of the universities/colleges you want to apply to or the country's general requirements for medicine or engineering. For example, in the UK, good universities usually have Math and Physics HL as a requirement for engineering.

In general, for engineering: Physics and math, preferably at HL. For your 3rd subject, Chemistry over Biology would be my advice, but it's not the most important decision.

For medicine: Biology and Chemistry, preferably at HL. Math SL should be fine.

Hope this helps! 

20 hours ago, AndresLopez said:

The first thing you should check is HL requirements for either some of the universities/colleges you want to apply to or the country's general requirements for medicine or engineering. For example, in the UK, good universities usually have Math and Physics HL as a requirement for engineering.

In general, for engineering: Physics and math, preferably at HL. For your 3rd subject, Chemistry over Biology would be my advice, but it's not the most important decision.

For medicine: Biology and Chemistry, preferably at HL. Math SL should be fine.

Hope this helps! 

hey thanks for replying and it did help but if im going to college in america there aren't requirements to get in, because you have to do the regular 4 years of college first then do the MCAT and get into med school from there

so really I just wanna know whats the best base for that because you can really major in anything and still get into med school in the US (right?)

would it be best to do HL math and physics with chem at SL ?

I'm just worried about the difficulty bc my GPA is what'll get me into the best college for pre-med

If you know any requirements for american college please let me know

2 hours ago, keeley45733 said:

hey thanks for replying and it did help but if im going to college in america there aren't requirements to get in, because you have to do the regular 4 years of college first then do the MCAT and get into med school from there

so really I just wanna know whats the best base for that because you can really major in anything and still get into med school in the US (right?)

would it be best to do HL math and physics with chem at SL ?

I'm just worried about the difficulty bc my GPA is what'll get me into the best college for pre-med

If you know any requirements for american college please let me know

As far as I'm concerned, most, if not all, American colleges give credit if you get a 5 or higher in your HL subjects, which will make graduating easier for you. Technically you can graduate in anything and get into med school, but it will be better for you if you major in biology or something somewhat related to medicine. Your application will look better and most importantly, you will be better prepared. Since you should be aiming to prepare yourself for med school in college, you should aim to prepare yourself for college in the IB. So, I'd still recommend biology and chemistry HL for medicine. However, if you struggle with these subjects, you might want to take one at HL and another at SL, and then a subject you will definitely score high in as an HL. That way your GPA will be higher and you might earn more college credit. But I think the best preparation would be Bio and Chem HL, and if you put in the work you can still score high. 

As a final thought, GPA is very important, but so is extra-curricular activities, your essay, and other aspects of the application. Make sure you do well in these too to maximise your chances of getting into your first choice.

Good luck!

• Like 1