5 in HL or 7 in SL?

Maharajo Stylo

Hi Guys,

Now that Year 1 has ended, its almost time for me to get serious about colleges and that stuff. This year, I maintained a steady 5 in HL Math throughout the year, but I was thinking about dropping to SL, where it is more likely that I will get a 7 or at least a 6. 

I want to do Computer Sciences and Engineering in college, preferably in the U.S. Would it be better for me to switch to SL since that might bump me up to a total of 35 points (without EE and ToK), or should I stay in HL since that might look better on my transcript and my predicted grades?

Thanks, 

Maharaja Stylo

2 hours ago, Maharajo Stylo said:

Hi Guys,

Now that Year 1 has ended, its almost time for me to get serious about colleges and that stuff. This year, I maintained a steady 5 in HL Math throughout the year, but I was thinking about dropping to SL, where it is more likely that I will get a 7 or at least a 6. 

I want to do Computer Sciences and Engineering in college, preferably in the U.S. Would it be better for me to switch to SL since that might bump me up to a total of 35 points (without EE and ToK), or should I stay in HL since that might look better on my transcript and my predicted grades?

Thanks, 

Maharaja Stylo

I recommend staying in HL – the math is a lot more rigorous and you get course credit for it in the US for scores of 5 or above. You will very rarely get course credit for SL subjects, even if you get a 7 in them. 

• Like 1

I feel like 5 to 6 in Math HL is easier to overcome than 6 to 7 in HL and with some consistent practice you should be able push for a 6. Generally HL should prepare you very well for comp sci and engineering. Even if you get admitted with SL, you will not be nearly as prepared and therefore might get a lower undergrad GPA than with HL. 

So if you are at 33-34, aim for a grade higher on each of the prerequisite courses and (at the minimum) maintain the grade on ones less relevant to your major.