What was your IOP topic?

dexter

• 3 weeks later...

My IOP topic focused on the concept of "Mother is Supreme" in the Patrilineal Society of Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. . It basically examined this paradox within the novel. It ended up being a presentation on the significance of women as the "forgotten side" of society. It was a tonne of fun, and I ended up getting a 7. :dash:

Edited by LinuxBeta

My IOP compared/contrasted the poetry of Robert Frost ("A Time to Talk", "The Road Not Taken") to that of Emily ****inson's ("The Bustle in a House", "The Soul Selects Her Own Society".) It was alright, but I think I could have done a better job on it. There was a lot more that could have been said. =/

Edited by Laborare Nolo

This is interesting. I didn't know you were allowed to do a comparative for the IOP. But I guess, historically my school has done better on works focused on one novel rather than on comparatives (proven by our rather abysmal WL1 marks.)

Yeah, half of our class ended up doing a comparative IOP (usually comparing some aspect of The Great Gatsby to The Scarlet Letter.) I really wanted to talk more about the fact that the different tones of their writing was influenced by their lifestyles (****inson lived in seclusion, Frost traveled around to different colleges all over the country giving lectures and was very social), but my teacher said that would be too much like a biography and blahblah. -.- So my IOP was like...really boring. :dash:

This is interesting. I didn't know you were allowed to do a comparative for the IOP. But I guess, historically my school has done better on works focused on one novel rather than on comparatives (proven by our rather abysmal WL1 marks.)

I compared four texts with regards to one theme. This was presented as the norm...

really?! i got told that we were not allowed to do one novel as you lost marks meaning that two was the minimum? according to my teacher anyway, can anyone confirm this?

I looked it up, and I found a copy of the syllabus online.

http://www.ise.edu.ee/documents/Curric/IBO...nglish%20A1.pdf

While "A comparison of two passages, two characters or two works." is indeed an option, it is not the only option. In fact, most of the other topics available involve only one novel. Either your teacher mis-interpreted the instructions, or they intentionally made you do a comparative piece. In the end, since the IOP is marked exclusively by the teacher, there is little point arguing- in the end, the teacher will mark according to what they prefer. However, I'd have assumed it would be rather fishy for the IBO to see that your school has done exclusively comparative topics.

I did not read the curriculum very carefully, so correct me if I'm misinterpreting.

i thought i replied but obviously i didn't :)

yup i re-read it and it DOES NOT state that you HAVE to do a comparison

but, my teacher is the one marking it so i think i'll just have to stick to it and hopefully pull it off

i'm presenting on monday D:

and i'm only half way through writing it. haha i'm such an idiot *facepalm

oh well, i was asking for it with all that procrastinating

thanks for confirming it XD !

Haha, I loved my IOP. I took notes on the book, made a rough outline of what I was going to say, included quotes and never looked at it until my presentation. I just ended up talking, and I think it was much better than those of my classmates who ended up making it sound totally memorized/read it off a piece of paper. I ended up with a 7 on it, regardless of the lack of preparation. But that may be just a natural talent or something.