Math EE: Modelling Traffic Flow

Shihong Pan

Hi all!

I am a 11th grader and a Math HL student. I have chosen to model traffic flow using cellular automaton as the topic of my Math EE. However I am not sure how deep can I go and whether my topic is advanced enough to become an EE topic (my school's Math group teachers allowed me to do this topic, but I would like more opinions), because I still have a lot of things to learn about it. What's more, I have looked through some related essays, but I did not find many proves of mathematical theories. Most of them contain mainly words and graphs of cellular automaton, so I am not sure whether my topic contains enough mathematics theories and proves to write a Math EE.

By the way, my supervisor said that since there are already such models, I can improve upon them by adding more considerations. But I am not sure how complex should the model be in order to be advanced enough and meanwhile allow me to handle the model well. 

(Sorry, English is not my first language. My language may not be used properly, so there may be some confusions in my description)

Thanks for your help!

CA is at least at the level expected by examiners. The CA model I found describes the traffic as a discrete system, add some restrictions, then use computers to model and make observations. The model need not be complex at all as long as you are able to explain everything clearly (that is, you should go as in depth as you comprehend/able to explain). Other options including using different assumptions and/or compare discrete models (a line of cars, like dominoes) to continuous models (a flow of cars, like water flow)

• 2 years later...
On 5/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, Shihong Pan said:

Hi all!

I am a 11th grader and a Math HL student. I have chosen to model traffic flow using cellular automaton as the topic of my Math EE. However I am not sure how deep can I go and whether my topic is advanced enough to become an EE topic (my school's Math group teachers allowed me to do this topic, but I would like more opinions), because I still have a lot of things to learn about it. What's more, I have looked through some related essays, but I did not find many proves of mathematical theories. Most of them contain mainly words and graphs of cellular automaton, so I am not sure whether my topic contains enough mathematics theories and proves to write a Math EE.

By the way, my supervisor said that since there are already such models, I can improve upon them by adding more considerations. But I am not sure how complex should the model be in order to be advanced enough and meanwhile allow me to handle the model well. 

(Sorry, English is not my first language. My language may not be used properly, so there may be some confusions in my description)

Thanks for your help!

Hi!

I'm literally at the similar situation as you were before. As I'd like to investigate something about traffic flow in my ia, but not sure how to model it. Would you like to contact me in other medias for detailed information?