Should I take study hall?

shi_ina

Hi! I am a sophomore going to take full IB diploma programme this year. Classes I chose are Math SL, Biology SL, Spanish SL, English lang-lit HL, Economics HL, and Music HL. My school offers study hall, but I chose an elective class which is concert band. (I really love music, and playing instruments) I am going to take concert band only junior year but still worried if it's a right choice. I had course selection a few weeks ago, but I think I can still change courses and ask for study hall. What do you guys think about my choice? Is it better to have study hall or can I still take concert band?

Thanks!

It's really up to what you think you would benefit from most. If you think you'll need the extra study time and would rather have a little more sleep each night and more after-school free time, take study hall. If you like the idea of having a more laid-back class doing something fun that you love while at school, take concert band. Concert band will mean you have more studying to do at home, but it will give you a break from all the IB courses (and from being around all IB kids) during the school day.

I chose to stay in my school's concert band for both of my years in IB. For me, personally, I'm glad I did. My IB cohort has 20 students and we're around each other all day, every day, so concert band gives me a moment to relax, do something I love, and get out of the "IB bubble."

Good luck with diploma programme!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I would pick study hall. Study hall is literally my life saviour on days I lacked sleep, needed extra time for work, or study a chapter of bio before my bio quiz at the beginning of every class, or even just some time to de-stress. But if you think you can cope with band, goodluck. My counselor forces us to have study hall because she emphasized on how busy we will be and she wasn't wrong, so just make sure you can manage your time well!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I was in my school's wind ensemble this year, but next year I'm taking a study hall instead just because I've fallen out of love with playing my instrument, not really for time management reasons. Personally, I was able to keep everything under control without a study hall.

• Like 1