45 minute essay tips?

NishantEC

Hey all,

I've been having a lot of trouble writing the 45 minute essays that are assigned in HL History (year 1). Does anyone have any tips or strategies, or possibly well written exemplars, that I could use to improve my style of writing? I think I end up giving too much narrative and not giving as strong of an argument as I should be, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

In timed essays, dividing time and writing speed is the key. What I do during timed essays is I take at least 3-5 minutes to plan. It is a very rough plan of course. But those few minutes of planning are essential as you can get arguments down rather than just writing aimlessly 

Then it is important to mentally plan out. Such as " I might take 5 minutes on the intro, 10 minutes on the first argument, and 5 minutes on the counter-argument paragraph". And while writing, those arguments that you wrote down in your initial planning may even become developed, as your brain will be "sleeping on it" 

I know these are general tips, but I do hope these help as it's the little things that do! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey,

So you need to write fast, obviously. Something I like doing is warming my hands up. Whether running hot water over them, sit on them or run them under a hand dryer. It prevents my hand from hurting.

The other thing is practice. Your hand develops strength.

Now that is done. Plan your essays in 5-10 minutes. Don't make it elaborate but like, say 3 key points, examples and historian view. Keep it simple and ensure it stays on point.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have to respectfully disagree with King112 on one particular point. For a 45 minute essay, 5 to 10 minutes of planning is way too much. You should be able to have a rough plan/ outline of the essay in 3 minutes or so. By using any more time, you are penalizing yourself in terms of time. Also, like what the rest had said, you have to practice writing your essays with 45 minutes; do not expect yourself to be able to write at such a fast speed without any practice. 

Hope this helps! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! There are a lot of super good tips and comments in this forum already, but here are some tips that I've gathered because I used to always run out of time. No joke.

• Make an outline in the corner of your sheet for 5-10 minutes, but if you know the topic beforehand, plan it out during your study time. Write the main points with a few subpoints under so you can have a flow and thought process when actually writing the essay. 
  • For me personally, I can write a lot and ramble a lot (causing me to slow down and run out of time because most things I write are irrelevant) so figure out if you have that same problem and try your best to minimize it. 
  • Try doing a couple of timed essays on your own as if you were taking a legit timed essay and then mark yourself or ask one of your peers to. Make notes on which part/s took you the longest or what part/s you need to strengthen and figure out why you need to. It also helps to figure out what parts you're struggling with the most. 
  • Adding to the above tip, practice on a couple of different essay types - ie, persuasive, expository, and narrative. 
  • Also, if you all of a sudden have an idea that works really well in your essay, write it down. Who cares if it's like not that organized because it must be a great point that you have to make and so better risk the chance of getting an extra point for another good idea than nothing, right?
  • BE TIME CONSCIOUS. Believe it or not, most of my classrooms don't have clocks so I suggest wearing a handwatch rather than relying on your phone cuz then your teacher will think you're cheating. In addition, don't spend that much time on your outline because then you'll have to rush and cram the actual essay in a few minutes. 
  • Write down what evidence / examples you have gathered and then group it into themes. Once you do that, you then can build your paragraphs around said themes. Don't forget though, to leave a space for an introduction and conclusion, making sure you actually complete it once you  have finished writing the body paragraphs of the essay. With your introduction, it's more "professional" and stuff to have a questions that links to the essay topic (duh). Start each paragraph with the main point, as learned in like grade 8 english class, and then back it up with at least 3 reliable evidence that links back to the question in your introduction. Add in a bomb kicking conclusion, and then boom. Done!
  • Pre-writing is key as you can figure out your main thesis  points first. That helps you separate the different subtopics you want to write about.

Hope this helps!!! 

-Charlotte :) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:19 PM, NishantEC said:

Hey all,

I've been having a lot of trouble writing the 45 minute essays that are assigned in HL History (year 1). Does anyone have any tips or strategies, or possibly well written exemplars, that I could use to improve my style of writing? I think I end up giving too much narrative and not giving as strong of an argument as I should be, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to quickly write an essay, at least 45 minutes, then you need to know a few rules for writing an essay quickly. Also, besides knowing these rules, you will need to practice writing an essay. You can never quickly write an essay if you do not have much practical experience.

How to start an essay?
Tip 1. Before you start writing an essay, you need to formulate an idea, define a goal and find sources of information for work.

Tip 2. Use the technique of freewriting (free writing). Its essence is to write down all thoughts that come to mind without editing it and not following grammar, punctuation, style, etc. An excellent way to help deal with a creative crisis and find an extraordinary idea.

Tip 3. It is important not to focus on the introductory part. An introduction can also be written after the main part has been written. In this case, it’s already clear what the essay is about, so the introduction is easier to write.

Tip 4. One of the fairly common options is to write an essay, starting with a question, the answer to which is given later.

What is the structure of the essay?
The order of writing an essay usually comes down to three steps.

Introductory part
Main part

In the main part, you can give different points of view on the issue under consideration, affect the history of the issue.

Typically, the main part consists of several subitems, each of which consists of three sections: thesis (proved proposition), rationale (arguments used to prove the thesis), sub-conclusion (partial answer to the main question).

If you already realized that writing an essay yourself will be difficult for you, then I advise you to enter in Google search bar " CheetahPapers.com write my essay for me" and find the cheapest and safest and highest quality essay writing site.

Arguments are judgments made to convince the reader of the truth of a certain point of view. It can be various situations from life, opinions of scientists, evidence, etc.

Arguments can be built in the following sequence:

Statement.
Explanation.
Example.
The final judgment.
Conclusion
In conclusion, all the conclusions made for each thesis presented in the main part are combined. The reader should come to a logical conclusion based on the arguments given. In conclusion, the problem is reintroduced and a final conclusion is made.

44 minutes ago, TamiSchall said:

If you want to quickly write an essay, at least 45 minutes, then you need to know a few rules for writing an essay quickly. Also, besides knowing these rules, you will need to practice writing an essay. You can never quickly write an essay if you do not have much practical experience.

How to start an essay?
Tip 1. Before you start writing an essay, you need to formulate an idea, define a goal and find sources of information for work.

Tip 2. Use the technique of freewriting (free writing). Its essence is to write down all thoughts that come to mind without editing it and not following grammar, punctuation, style, etc. An excellent way to help deal with a creative crisis and find an extraordinary idea.

Tip 3. It is important not to focus on the introductory part. An introduction can also be written after the main part has been written. In this case, it’s already clear what the essay is about, so the introduction is easier to write.

Tip 4. One of the fairly common options is to write an essay, starting with a question, the answer to which is given later.

Introductory part
Main part

In the main part, you can give different points of view on the issue under consideration, affect the history of the issue.

Typically, the main part consists of several subitems, each of which consists of three sections: thesis (proved proposition), rationale (arguments used to prove the thesis), sub-conclusion (partial answer to the main question).

If you already realized that writing an essay yourself will be difficult for you, then I advise you to enter in Google search bar " CheetahPapers.com write my essay for me" and find the cheapest and safest and highest quality essay writing site.

Arguments are judgments made to convince the reader of the truth of a certain point of view. It can be various situations from life, opinions of scientists, evidence, etc.

Statement.
Explanation.
Example.
The final judgment.
Conclusion
In conclusion, all the conclusions made for each thesis presented in the main part are combined. The reader should come to a logical conclusion based on the arguments given. In conclusion, the problem is reintroduced and a final conclusion is made.

Hey, I appreciate the advice, but this is an old post and I graduated from the IB more than a year ago. I got a 7 in history!

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

It's too late to give you an answer, probably you have already cleared your exams. However, this could be useful for others. 

The issue you mentioned is a common one which most of us go through. So what one could do is, jot down the broad structure in a rough page or mentally. This would help you to stick to it and mentally assign the time for it. Suppose if there are 5 broad sections with equal weight, give them 9min each. Take each section at hand and write the best possible arguments and background than long narratives which end up nowhere. To be honest this depends a lot on preparation, knowledge and practice, without which writing would be hell. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, TamiSchall said:

How to start an essay?

Introductory part
Main part

Statement.
Explanation.
Example.
The final judgment.
Conclusion

It's essential for educational resources to be valuable and supportive of the learning process. I take these matters seriously, but I acknowledge that they can be challenging at times. For instance, when I had to prepare nursing assignments recently, it posed significant difficulties for me nursingpaper.com Fortunately, I discovered a service that provided assistance, and it was truly a lifesaver.

Edited by LeeHarris98