Do I have to use Human Consent Form? Against IB ethical guideline? URGENT!!

Lion

Hello, I have to conduct an experiment for my Biology IA and I was thinking it should be about Caffeine. I am a Caffeine intolerant and I would want to make some experiment of "how to reset caffeine tolerance" and to see if its possible. Perhaps I could measure my heart/ pulse rate for 3-4 days and see if there is any difference. Now I really need to now if this idea would work for the Biology IA and I would really appreciate if any of you could suggest how I should write the research question for this experiment in this case. 

Now first of all, can I do this if I have human consent form ( for myself or for other humans)? Or is there a problem with using this on humans?

The thing is I have to conduct this experiment on my own, so please if you have any other suggestions or ideas that I could possible do without the help of an actual Lab, I would truly be thankful for it. (research questions about any topic in human physiology maybe? )

I am an SL Biology student by the way.

Edited by Lion

I'm not sure what the exact procedures are, but I do know someone in my class who did something similar (I think, I can't exactly remember), so the topic itself should be fine, as long as you clearly explain the biology behind it. 

In terms of consent forms, for psychology we needed to have consent forms and attach them to our IAs, but I'm not sure how this would work for bio. I don't think you need a consent form for yourself but you might need one for other people. Sorry, I can't offer much help!

• Like 1

The IB guidelines states that "no experiment will be undertaken that inflicts pain on other humans or animals." This does include yourself. If the experiment will cause discomfort to you, IB will not approve of the experiment. You can check around the web and see if there are databases that have research relating to your topic, and do a database IA. You can also check around for simulations relating to your topic and use those simulations to carry out your IA.

As for the Human Consent form, this is used when you involve other people in your experiment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rosalina said:

The IB guidelines states that "no experiment will be undertaken that inflicts pain on other humans or animals." This does include yourself. If the experiment will cause discomfort to you, IB will not approve of the experiment. You can check around the web and see if there are databases that have research relating to your topic, and do a database IA. You can also check around for simulations relating to your topic and use those simulations to carry out your IA.

As for the Human Consent form, this is used when you involve other people in your experiment.

Thank you so much. But it doesn't cause me discomfort, would Ib still disapprove? 

I'm not sure what the exact procedures are, but I do know someone in my class who did something similar (I think, I can't exactly remember), so the topic itself should be fine, as long as you clearly explain the biology behind it. 

In terms of consent forms, for psychology we needed to have consent forms and attach them to our IAs, but I'm not sure how this would work for bio. I don't think you need a consent form for yourself but you might need one for other people. Sorry, I can't offer much help!

No you did help, Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion said:

Thank you so much. But it doesn't cause me discomfort, would Ib still disapprove? 

Then, it is fine. Measuring heart rate after exercise is a common IA topic, so I don't see why IB object as long as you're not causing any discomfort to yourself or others.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Then, it is fine. Measuring heart rate after exercise is a common IA topic, so I don't see why IB object as long as you're not causing any discomfort to yourself or others.

Wait, what do you mean by exercise? I think you mean that its related  to my topic so it should be fine, right?