IB Diploma vs IB Certificate

ib_got_me_like

Hello. 

I am currently about to complete my first year of my IB Diploma. However I have recently found out of the IB Certificate program which consist of taking whatever subjects you want at whatever level you want. All of the other mandatory components of the full IB Diploma are now compulsory, such as the Extended Essay and CAS. Also, unlike the full diploma I would be awarded a certificate for each subject I choose to take, and if I were to fail in aa subject, CAS, TOK, or extended essay this would not impact me obtaining my grades for my other subjects. Whereas in the full IB Diploma failing a component such as CAS would result in the failure of the whole Diploma. My goals for the future are to attend a college in the USA. I have been doing some research on college website and for IB they only refer to achieving a certain score in higher level subjects rather than asking for a total IB score. Should I switch to the IB Certificate Program for my final year of IB so that I can focus on my higher level subjects. I would still continue with CAS because it would look good on my application and may still do TOK, but would drop the Extended Essay. I was also wondering if all colleges would accept the IB Certificate Program or if it is only a select few. From what I've seen i know that NYU accepts 3 IB Higher Levels. If anybody knows any more schools that would be really helpful. 

Thank You :) 

Edited by ib_got_me_like

Hey just a quick thought. Although it may be tedious, I think that higher level schools may like the time and dedication you put into the IB DP Program. They may give you more recognition for the program as a whole, instead of just certificates for each subject. I would recommend you talk with your parents and guidance counselor on this issue. Also it probably depends on the college for what they accept. :)

Hey!
So I just asked my friend about the IB Certificate program, I think the outcomes differ for each country though

As I'm Australian, if you only do IB subjects in the Cert program it doesnt go towards your OP or like system/graduating points at all, you purely just get a slip of paper for each subject saying that you participated in it.

I think what was said above ^ is also true as well. There is a reason for the IB Diploma program being what it is- and it's internationally recognised because of that

If you can discuss it further with the IB coordinator of your school that would be the best option.

I dont know of any specific universities in America that would accept it either.

I hope this helped though, best of luck!

• 2 years later...

I'm also considering changing from diploma to certificate. My subjects are pretty difficult. I take Physics, Math, and Business higher level, and Chemistry, Hindi and English standard level. I like all my subjects except chemistry, and I haven't decided my chemistry IA topic yet. I'm writing the extended essay in math, but it's going slow, like the submission is tomorrow itself! Had I known, IB required so much of hard work, I would've reconsidered taking it. I'm in the second year now, and I'm struggling because of school being online, and my school has also started to give us home works in all our subjects everyday! I'm so sick of all of this. Should I change from diploma to certificate? Please help me!!!