Written Assignment word count Language B

isi

Hello, 

I am about to submit my final draft of my French B written assignment. 

My word count is currently 418 (SL word count is 300-400), which means I am over the word limit by 18 words. I told this to my teacher at school, but she says I shouldn't worry about it. 

Which is why I was wondering whether going over the word limit by a bit is really okay like my teacher says or will this result in a one/two mark penalty? 

I have been avoiding the submission process as I am worried (I don't want to lose a mark for something as dumb as this) 

2 hours ago, isi said:

Hello, 

I am about to submit my final draft of my French B written assignment. 

My word count is currently 418 (SL word count is 300-400), which means I am over the word limit by 18 words. I told this to my teacher at school, but she says I shouldn't worry about it. 

Which is why I was wondering whether going over the word limit by a bit is really okay like my teacher says or will this result in a one/two mark penalty? 

I have been avoiding the submission process as I am worried (I don't want to lose a mark for something as dumb as this) 

In my Indonesian B SL Written Assignment, I had about 430~ words. My teacher predicted a superlative mark of 23/24, but I ended up getting a 21/24 from the IB. I cannot be certain if this is due to exceeding the word count however. As a general rule of thumb, if you absolutely need those last 18 words and that removing them would noticeably reduce the quality of your work, then just leave them there. It is not stated explicitly that going over word count, and with only a measly 18 words, would warrant a direct penalty to marks. Rather, I believe the examiner will take your exceeding of the word count into holistic consideration, along with other aspects of your work, and then decide what mark to give you for the relevant criteria.