Can a language B be taken as self-taught?

isi

Hello, 

I am in my second IB year. I am currently taking french b sl, but am really struggling on achieving a good grade. Since my first language is german, I would much rather swap the french b to german b, and thus achieve a better grade. The IB coordinator at my school said that taking a language b as self taught is not an option though. I have been trying to see the official IBO statement of this, but cannot find it anywhere online. In a few different threads, I read that some candidates did take a language b as self-taught, so why is my IB coordinator saying language b cannot be taken as a self-taught language? I'm really confused

Edited by isi

As far as I know, you can not self-teach a Language B subject; however, you may be able to register for the exam if you can enrol in the german B course of your/another IB school. But as you are taking exams this May, you have probably already been registered for the diploma with the IB and hence would not be able to change the subject. Also, as you've been doing french for so long, it might be better to stick with the course. In what aspects of the course are you struggling? One of the papers or the orals? If you tell me where you're having issues, I can give you some tips to improve, as I've been doing quite well in and enjoying my Spanish HL course.

• Like 1

I’m really struggling with the oral aspect. I can write French quite well but when it comes to forming sentences on the spot, and pronouncing everything right, I’m kinda useless. The highest mark I have ever achieved for the oral was 11/20 ... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2018 at 10:15 PM, isi said:

I’m really struggling with the oral aspect. I can write French quite well but when it comes to forming sentences on the spot, and pronouncing everything right, I’m kinda useless. The highest mark I have ever achieved for the oral was 11/20 ... 

For the oral part, you might benefit from listening to online audio and trying to summarise/respond in French.

8 hours ago, astonky said:

For the oral part, you might benefit from listening to online audio and trying to summarise/respond in French.

Update: I had my oral a few weeks ago, and ended up getting 16/20 instead of my usual 11ish/20! What I did was basically just study for 1 theme (since I took SL, I could choose the theme in my exam), and crammed for a whole week! 

Nevertheless, thank you so much for your advice!

On 27/03/2018 at 6:15 AM, isi said:

Update: I had my oral a few weeks ago, and ended up getting 16/20 instead of my usual 11ish/20! What I did was basically just study for 1 theme (since I took SL, I could choose the theme in my exam), and crammed for a whole week! 

Nevertheless, thank you so much for your advice!

Happy to hear you managed such a big leap in terms of score with only a week of cramming :)