Should I show all my work for my IA even if I don't end up using it?

senora-eel

Basically, I thought I had some really good mathematics in my IA but it turns out that one of my equations was wrong and I can't use that method anymore. However, I still want to show that I have understanding of complex mathematics and I don't want all the work I did to go to waste (I integrated a really gross equation with decimals by partial fractions). Would it be okay for me to present the entire process I did ("I started with x method but I realized it didn't work") so I can still show that work, or would I just seem like an idiot for not realizing the equation was wrong and still putting in so much work to integrate it?

Bonus question: Do title page and bibliography count for the 12-page limit? I've heard conflicting answers. 

Also: My teacher said I have to use the approximate = sign (the squiggly one) for rounded values, but would that apply to a function? It seems wrong to use the approximate equal sign for a function. What if I make it clear that the values are rounded? 

Edited by senora-eel

Because IA are primarily graded by your teacher, you should defer to your teacher if you should include that piece of math. In general, it should be ok if you touch upon it briefly just to illustrate what could have happened. 

There is no penalty for length of math IA outside of 6-12 pages. With that said, you should keep your IA concise and there is no need for an IA to be 12 pages to get 17-18+.  

• Like 1