Writing an IA on complex numbers

Saguaro

Hello, I'm in the first year of the IB and am writing my maths IA. As we aren't going to learn about complex numbers until much later I was allowed to write my IA about them even though they are in the course. I would like to include applications or uses of complex numbers, for example, Euler's Formula, fractals, De Moivre's Theorem or possibly some other applications (I have yet to do more research). My problem is that in order for the essay to be understandable to my target audience ie. my classmates who have not learned about complex numbers yet, I will have to include addition, multiplication, division of complex numbers as well and I'm worried that it will just look as if it had been taken straight from a textbook. Additionally although I am very interested in the topic I don't quite now how to display sufficient "personal engagement". Could anyone advise me on how to proceed with this project?

Edited by Saguaro
grammar

Yeah you will not score high for explaining concepts in the core. Main applications of complex number: 1) original intention, ensuring n-degree has exactly n roots. 2) make use of miltiplication, de moivre's theorem, to prove certain trig identities (see HL past papers) 3) applications of hyperbolic trig functions 4) replace 2-d vectors with complex numbers 5) sometimes useful in solving differential equations (way beyond HL)