HELP ME WITH MY SUBJECT CHOICE FOR COOKIES

Taifalbalushi

Hey future ib colleagues, I’m the next victim of IB! Its that time in my life where I actually have to think about what I want to be in life. I HAVE NO IDEA. Teachers are commanding (I’m over exaggerating a bit) subject choices for IB. I chose subjects that interested me other than actually dying and trying to figure out what career I want. Here it is:

Higher level:

Chemistry 

Arabic 

Psychology 

Standard level:

Math

English  

Physics

can people who took these topics give me advice? Also what career can I get out of these choices??? Help!!!!

Could you take Math or Physics at HL? Because 4 HLs, especially Math and Physics, really give you an edge on your applications to unis. If I were you, and if I wanted to secure every possible opportunity in case I change my mind or whatever, (ideally) I'd go with these:

HL Chemistry, Physics, Math, Psychology 

SL English A Lit, Language (A or B)

That way you could make sure your application is strong since you'd clearly challenge yourself by this subject choice. 

Chemistry HL is not THAT difficult as long as you 1) study throughout the 2 years and not just before the exams and 2) do past papers and get used to the questions. It also helps if you have a good background knowledge, but I assume you do since you'd choose it at HL. 

Physics HL is a tough class, and you will struggle, but if you're persistent, no doubt you can get an excellent grade. Physics SL, on the other hand, is kinda difficult for Science SL (in fact, it is the toughest Group 4 SL there is), but you still learn a lot. 

Math HL, as I hear from my colleagues, is very tough but also very rewarding. I was told that HL Math students spend 50% of their time doing maths, and other 50% doing other subjects.

Math SL is manageable even if your math abilities are not that good.  

Math studies SL is a joke; don't take it because unis often look down upon it (if you're getting into a natural science course, that is).

Psychology HL... I used to love this class, but I soon figured out that they only test your ability to memorize a ton of information, and on the IB exams you have to write essay-style questions which you either 1. make up on the spot or 2. learn off by heart. Doing it at SL, IMHO, makes no sense, since the class is too demanding for an SL subject. 

English A Lit isn't too bad, just make sure you read your texts regularly, when your teacher assigns it, and you'll be golden. Make sure to be active in class because you want 100% of what your teachers can offer you. If you're not a native speaker, maybe consider doing English B HL, just to get a bit of workload off your back.

Starting with the most difficult subject first:

Physics HL > Math HL > Chemistry HL > Psychology HL > English A SL > Language A or B SL

There's a wide range of careers you could pursue with the subject choice you outlined, so don't worry about it! :irene: You will start to "grow" towards a certain subject once you enter the DP anyway.

• Like 1

1. If you like your higher level subjects, great, you're the only person smart enough to do that. This should give you an edge on what you become, rather than picking subjects based off your future career.
2. Don't pick 4 HLs, its a stupid a** idea.
3. Since you chose Arabic as HL, I'm guessing you're excellent at it. So switch it to SL just to secure a 7 and not take any chances in HL.
4. If you like cancer (probability) and power (calculus) pick math hl
5. Tbh idk how dafuq psychology and chemistry mix together, so I would switch psychology to SL and English to HL.
6. Most universities that recognise IB give credits for at least a 5 in HL subjects. I believe chemistry hl and physics hl are awarded the same credits.

Option B:
1. Do some research on chemical engineering
2. If you liked what the chemical engineers do, get rid of psychology and take business and management. 
3. If you took B.M, you'll need to go for a masters degree in university for engineering and project management (business if I remember correctly)
4. If you did all the 3 steps, you'd make a lot of money and enjoy your life to the fullest.

In my case, I took math, chem, eng HL. Physics, french ab initio, economics Sl and plan to do the same as option B (except with mechanical engineering).

Hope this helped

On 12/16/2017 at 1:43 PM, kanda_sorata said:

Could you take Math or Physics at HL? Because 4 HLs, especially Math and Physics, really give you an edge on your applications to unis. If I were you, and if I wanted to secure every possible opportunity in case I change my mind or whatever, (ideally) I'd go with these:

HL Chemistry, Physics, Math, Psychology 

SL English A Lit, Language (A or B)

That way you could make sure your application is strong since you'd clearly challenge yourself by this subject choice. 

Chemistry HL is not THAT difficult as long as you 1) study throughout the 2 years and not just before the exams and 2) do past papers and get used to the questions. It also helps if you have a good background knowledge, but I assume you do since you'd choose it at HL. 

Physics HL is a tough class, and you will struggle, but if you're persistent, no doubt you can get an excellent grade. Physics SL, on the other hand, is kinda difficult for Science SL (in fact, it is the toughest Group 4 SL there is), but you still learn a lot. 

Math HL, as I hear from my colleagues, is very tough but also very rewarding. I was told that HL Math students spend 50% of their time doing maths, and other 50% doing other subjects.

Math SL is manageable even if your math abilities are not that good.  

Math studies SL is a joke; don't take it because unis often look down upon it (if you're getting into a natural science course, that is).

Psychology HL... I used to love this class, but I soon figured out that they only test your ability to memorize a ton of information, and on the IB exams you have to write essay-style questions which you either 1. make up on the spot or 2. learn off by heart. Doing it at SL, IMHO, makes no sense, since the class is too demanding for an SL subject. 

English A Lit isn't too bad, just make sure you read your texts regularly, when your teacher assigns it, and you'll be golden. Make sure to be active in class because you want 100% of what your teachers can offer you. If you're not a native speaker, maybe consider doing English B HL, just to get a bit of workload off your back.

Starting with the most difficult subject first:

Physics HL > Math HL > Chemistry HL > Psychology HL > English A SL > Language A or B SL

There's a wide range of careers you could pursue with the subject choice you outlined, so don't worry about it! :irene: You will start to "grow" towards a certain subject once you enter the DP anyway.

I only get As in math and science. So I don’t know if I’m able to do maths and physics HL especially as they are the hardest IB subjects. Thank you for telling me about the other subjects though! 

15 hours ago, IJustWanaPass said:

1. If you like your higher level subjects, great, you're the only person smart enough to do that. This should give you an edge on what you become, rather than picking subjects based off your future career.
2. Don't pick 4 HLs, its a stupid a** idea.
3. Since you chose Arabic as HL, I'm guessing you're excellent at it. So switch it to SL just to secure a 7 and not take any chances in HL.
4. If you like cancer (probability) and power (calculus) pick math hl
5. Tbh idk how dafuq psychology and chemistry mix together, so I would switch psychology to SL and English to HL.
6. Most universities that recognise IB give credits for at least a 5 in HL subjects. I believe chemistry hl and physics hl are awarded the same credits.

Option B:
1. Do some research on chemical engineering
2. If you liked what the chemical engineers do, get rid of psychology and take business and management. 
3. If you took B.M, you'll need to go for a masters degree in university for engineering and project management (business if I remember correctly)
4. If you did all the 3 steps, you'd make a lot of money and enjoy your life to the fullest.

In my case, I took math, chem, eng HL. Physics, french ab initio, economics Sl and plan to do the same as option B (except with mechanical engineering).

Hope this helped

1. I agree.

2. I wasn’t really planning on taking 4 HLs lmao

3. I agree thanks for the advice. 

4. I only get As in maths IGCSE so I’m not sure if I am able to do math HL. Also my teacher doesn’t even advise it. 

5. I totally agree. 

I like engineering and business so your option B sounds intreguing. However, for any engineering course you need math at HL and as I said before I’m not planning on doing that (btw I’m planning to go to uni in the UK). What should I do now? Also is it smart to do physics at SL? Or should I choose a subject from group 6? Here’s my updated subject list:

Higher level

Chemistry  

English 

Business management

Standard level

Math

Arabic

Physics