Writing a good Historical Investigation

Survival Robot

would the question "to what extent did the Jacobins' theories on women prevent them from achieving a political standing?" be a good question for my HI topic? and would anyone know of any good book for that question?

This might work. Do you think you can find some sources on this, though? Although an interesting question is important, it's also important to have sources too. Otherwise, how are you going to find stuff to put in your Part B or have something to evaluate in Part C? I think if you can find a few good sources (probably at least 8 or so) this could work out fine. I couldn't recommend you a specific book since I didn't do my HI/EE on this time period nor do I have any interest in it, but try looking at your library or in a database for some good ones. :)

people who have done the HI, how many primary sources should we have?

It depends on your topic. Some topics will have only a few primary sources and others will rely heavily on them. Most of my sources were secondary sources, but I had a few primary sources as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So, my IA topic is this: To what extent did Prohibition influence or cause the Great Depression?

I'm a little worried about it because it's rather short. Do i need to add more details in the title, or be more specific, or otherwise change it?

So, my IA topic is this: To what extent did Prohibition influence or cause the Great Depression?

I'm a little worried about it because it's rather short. Do i need to add more details in the title, or be more specific, or otherwise change it?

So, what is the best advice is to be focused on the R.Q. , you should add details but also you have to mention them in your introduction (Part A) in which you will explain what will be investigated, methods used, time frame (years etc). In my opinion the question is good.

• 2 weeks later...

do you think, To what extent was the media, the United States of America’s third opponent during the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War?, is too broad.

I would be analysing the reasons for why the media changed their view of the Vietnam war, therefore presenting various examples of so, and analysing the impact on the US public's view.

do you think, To what extent was the media, the United States of America’s third opponent during the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War?, is too broad.

I would be analysing the reasons for why the media changed their view of the Vietnam war, therefore presenting various examples of so, and analysing the impact on the US public's view.

The general topic has been pretty thoroughly analysed (in the late Peter Braestrup's definitive "Big Story", for example). It might be an idea to focus on a specific aspect of the events, such as "To what extent was US media coverage of the Tet offensive skewed by an inexperienced press corps and competitive journalism?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

since I need to hand the first part of my IA in two weeks, I think that it might be a good idea to ask you if my research question is relevant.

I am dealing with not very famous topic - the history of Saxony and the rule of August III in Poland.

And for today my research question goes as follows "To what extent was election of king August III influenced by foreign powers?"

In my IA I would underline the importance of Saxon politicians in the process as well as Russian, Austrian and Prussian authorities.

I would welcome any help <3

Hello everyone,

since I need to hand the first part of my IA in two weeks, I think that it might be a good idea to ask you if my research question is relevant.

I am dealing with not very famous topic - the history of Saxony and the rule of August III in Poland.

And for today my research question goes as follows "To what extent was election of king August III influenced by foreign powers?"

In my IA I would underline the importance of Saxon politicians in the process as well as Russian, Austrian and Prussian authorities.

It is definitely relevant. :) I like lesser-known topics (I did mine on a lesser-known event), they're more interesting and you learn about them! And the graders seem to appreciate them too. The only thing I would suggest is that you might find it easier to choose one of the foreign powers (Russia, Austria, or Prussia) to write about instead of all of them. This is because you'll only spend about 600 words maximum on your summary of evidence section, which is nothing! So you'll want to list all of the most important evidence, and if you have too many powers you might find it hard to keep it short or get a good enough analysis (because in Part D you analyze it all). Try it with all three first, and if you feel it's too much, then pick maybe the one you have the most information for. Good luck :)

Thank

Hello everyone,

It is definitely relevant. :) I like lesser-known topics (I did mine on a lesser-known event), they're more interesting and you learn about them! And the graders seem to appreciate them too. The only thing I would suggest is that you might find it easier to choose one of the foreign powers (Russia, Austria, or Prussia) to write about instead of all of them. This is because you'll only spend about 600 words maximum on your summary of evidence section, which is nothing! So you'll want to list all of the most important evidence, and if you have too many powers you might find it hard to keep it short or get a good enough analysis (because in Part D you analyze it all). Try it with all three first, and if you feel it's too much, then pick maybe the one you have the most information for. Good luck :)

Thank you a lot! I have read most of my resources for the investigation today and decided to stick to the question of Russia. So RQ would go like this: To what extent was election of king August III of Poland influenced by the Russian Empire?

Probably you will hear from me in the next month. I really want to have it finished before July.

I have one more question about a section C - evaluation of sources.

If I am right, I will have to write about two different books I have used during the investigation.

The problem is that because my topic is lesser-known, there is no book exactly about the Russian influence. Would it be ok to use books such as:

a. "August III"

b. "Polish-Russian relations in the XVIII century"

but only few parts of them?

Edited by Pe94

Thank

Hello everyone,

Thank you a lot! I have read most of my resources for the investigation today and decided to stick to the question of Russia. So RQ would go like this: To what extent was election of king August III of Poland influenced by the Russian Empire?

Probably you will hear from me in the next month. I really want to have it finished before July.

I have one more question about a section C - evaluation of sources.

If I am right, I will have to write about two different books I have used during the investigation.

The problem is that because my topic is lesser-known, there is no book exactly about the Russian influence. Would it be ok to use books such as:

a. "August III"

b. "Polish-Russian relations in the XVIII century"

but only few parts of them?

Nice research question :)

Yes, you pick two sources that were important during your investigation. It doesn't have to be books, it can be anything. And that's perfectly fine to use only parts of books and ideally what you should do. I had about 9 book sources when I finished, with only one of them being on only my topic. So just read and evaluate the necessary parts. No need to read the sections about French-German relations if your topic is on Polish-Russian relations. :P

• 3 months later...

Hey everybody,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me make my questions a little less generic.

Why was the Kornilov Affair so essential to gaining the Bolsheviks the mass support they needed for the October Revolution to be succcesful"

I was thinking that I should focus on Kornilov himself and looking at the two images of him: the rallying image used by the White Generals, and the counterrevolutionary image used by the Bolsheviks.

Anyone have any other suggestions???

• 3 weeks later...

can sombody help me to find a good webpage in which i can find free books to my IA

The bottom of a Wikipedia page, Google Scholar, and public databases should have things for you to use. If your school has a subscription to a database that would work also.

• 2 months later...