English EE - is my book appropriate?

eedgeler

At the moment, i would like to do my extended essay on the picture of Dorian Gray due to my own personal enjoyment of the book and its  popularity. However, through further research it seems that everything that could potentially be written about the book has already been done, and I’m worried it’s overdone to the point that it would be a bad EE choice. I currently am interested in themes such as hedonism and degeneracy, as well as the motif of mirrors/the portrait.

Edited by eedgeler

It's a good book ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You have good taste ;).

I think that with this question, different people will tell you different things. I mean, I know my mentor would have liked it because she was very much into having many scholarly examples of literary analysis to agree and disagree with. There was also another lit. EE mentor at my school, and he very much did not concern himself with the scholarly analysis viewpoint. So there you have it, two teachers very familiar with the IB who had different viewpoints.

That being said, PDG is a fine choice and I really don't think anybody would say it's a problem as long as you don't plagiarize it. And although it's somewhat common, it's not that common. Think of how many kids do the 1984/Catcher in the Rye/Great Gatsby/(insert current trendy literary work, currently A Handmaid's Tale) and they score fine. Don't worry, whatever you do with your investigation, you likely won't be coming up with that original of an idea.

5 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

It's a good book ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You have good taste ;).

I think that with this question, different people will tell you different things. I mean, I know my mentor would have liked it because she was very much into having many scholarly examples of literary analysis to agree and disagree with. There was also another lit. EE mentor at my school, and he very much did not concern himself with the scholarly analysis viewpoint. So there you have it, two teachers very familiar with the IB who had different viewpoints.

That being said, PDG is a fine choice and I really don't think anybody would say it's a problem as long as you don't plagiarize it. And although it's somewhat common, it's not that common. Think of how many kids do the 1984/Catcher in the Rye/Great Gatsby/(insert current trendy literary work, currently A Handmaid's Tale) and they score fine. Don't worry, whatever you do with your investigation, you likely won't be coming up with that original of an idea.

You’re a blessing, thank you!