English EE

jana333

My extended essay research question was: How do the authors of The Great Gatsby and Their Eyes Were Watching God use characterization and common themes as a means of criticising the authors societal structure? after finishing it, i was informed that i cant use a book that overlaps with the work we did in class which is their eyes. and if i wanna do a comparative one book has to be from another language. So now im kinda lost, if anyone has a book recommendation that would be a good comparison with the great gatsby (but from another language) that would be so so helpful. 

Consider 'Winter Song' by Jean-Claude Mourlevat (I think that's his name). It's dystopian but has commentary on society and was written in French (I think it's called Le Combat D'Hiver in French). You will probably find that most books judge society's intricate mannerisms quite effectively. Anyway, even if you don't use Winter Song it's a great read and raises some interesting points. It also might be helpful to compare The Great Gatsby to something dystopian as dystopian societies often mimic the direction that the author believes that the world will go if it continues on its current trajectory. 

I did want to do Chronicle of a Death Foretold, but I cant because we read it in class as well. Thanks for the recommendation though

On 10/16/2017 at 7:01 PM, Nomenclature said:

I really didn't expect this to get a response, so if you still don't know what book to do, Chronicle of a Death Foretold could work. Originally written in Spanish, it's a criticism of society. You'll probably have to change your ideas a bit, but it's better than nothing.

thank you SO much! :)

On 10/17/2017 at 2:02 AM, Skylark said:

Consider 'Winter Song' by Jean-Claude Mourlevat (I think that's his name). It's dystopian but has commentary on society and was written in French (I think it's called Le Combat D'Hiver in French). You will probably find that most books judge society's intricate mannerisms quite effectively. Anyway, even if you don't use Winter Song it's a great read and raises some interesting points. It also might be helpful to compare The Great Gatsby to something dystopian as dystopian societies often mimic the direction that the author believes that the world will go if it continues on its current trajectory.