I just failed a Math HL Test

coolcheetah

There is no way we can predict that with the little information you've given us. If this is your first test in IB, then don't worry. We all started with rough grades in maths HL before going up the ladder, slowly but steadily. However, calculus plays a rather important role in HL mathematics, so you have to make sure you understand what you've done wrong on the test to improve and be able to score a 7 at the end of the two years. Predicted grades don't mean much if you don't meet your college offers later on! 

HL maths requires a lot of hard work and consistency. I wasn't that talented at maths but managed a 6 in IB1 on my final exam, so I'm sure you can manage that or even more. 

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for both your replies. Let me give you both a little more context here. I was getting 6s and 7s all of last year in IB1. We did calculus before summer break, and had two tests on calculus in IB2. I got a 5 in the first and a 3 in the second one. 

I am hoping on doing better (back to getting 7s) in the next few tests. Is there any way I could be predicted a 7, and apply to colleges like Oxbridge/top 10 in the US?

Edited by coolcheetah

• 4 weeks later...

Dont worry, just work harder...I think the pressure of IB 2 Quarter one for me was the reason I messed up my integration test. I got a 2 on it, just imagine! I felt terrible but at the end we had 2 summit Calculus papers and I scored a high 6 on differentiation and a 7 on Integration. That really saved my predicted score for math HL but it is a matter of perseverance and not feeling too damaged by one bad test score. I would advice you to do all Pearson textbook questions, and especially the past paper practice questions and also try to be attentive in every calculus class. But just being attentive, and doing h/w wasnt enough for me I figured out after the 2 I got on integration. I then used youtube videos.....JMK Patrick, and BlackpenRedpen.....they saved my calculus understanding like literally! Dont only depend on your teacher for help or our friends.....and I dont know why but everyone seemed so unhelpful in IB 2 Quarter 1...with all the college apps, IAs, SAT subjects preps.....and so I was like I will use videos and they really helped. My teacher's h/w is usually a ton of IB past paper questions to do to prepare for tests and she gives us. If you do all the past paper questions and understand 90% of the questions yourself, do most or ALL the questions on Pearson textbook, use your teachers, friends...BUT also realize that you can trust yourself to learn from online videos....then I am sure you will score a 6/7 on the tests. Calculus is hard though so cheer up.

Edited by samim