Math SL remark

IBStudent98

I always advise getting work remarked when it's one point off, and I understand your teacher telling you that.

A category 1 remark is not the IA but all externally assessed material, including exams. To quote from the Handbook of procedures for the Diploma Programme 2017:
"A7.9.2 Category 1: Re-mark
This is a 
re-mark of externally assessed material for an individual candidate. However, the remarking does not include multiple-choice components of an examination in a group 4 subject or components for which a mark has been carried over from a previous session. A re-mark cannot be requested for individual components.
Note that in small entry subjects and in subjects with few candidates for French or Spanish as the response language with a sole examiner only, the
re-mark has to be undertaken by the same original examiner." (p.154)

(By component they mean paper 1, 2, etc.)

It is extremely rare that a grade decreases on a remark if you're 1 point away from increasing your grade, which is why it is common for people to do so.

Good luck.

I don't know the exact values and statistics for remarks, but when you're one mark away, it's worth trying. The probability that your grade changes is small in general. Maths is more of an objective subject so the probability the grade changes is inferior to, say, arts, which is more subjective. 

I agree; the thought of asking for a remark is terrifying "What if it goes wrong? What if I get a 3?" etc.. I was thinking the exact same when I got my geo and physics remarked. Think about it this way: you're 1 point away from the next grade, and approximately 8 points away from the lower boundary. Even if your points were to decrease, it would have to do so drastically, for your final grade to decrease. In short, your grade is more likely to increase than decrease.

You should also be able to request seeing your exams prior to asking for a remark, like that you can see if your grade could potentially increase. This is a category 2B enquiry and costs €12 per candidate, per subject. You could request this and then have a chat about it with your maths teacher to see if it could be worth 6.

2 hours ago, IBStudent98 said:

So are you saying that the IA will not be taken for a remark but only just paper 1 and 2? 

That is what the handbook says, yes.

Best of luck.

• Like 1