Is it better to make up and answer questions or just discuss applications?

IJustWanaPass

Hey everyone

My topic for Math IA is applying Fourier Transform in signal equations. I've narrowed down my search to digital, even, odd signals. i've given a small introduction about Fourier, explained the signals and their formulas and how they work. I've explained the Fourier Transform and it's properties, BUT I am not planning to include anything about graphs or frequencies since I would run out of pages. All I have to do is write about my engagement and the applications 

So I have 2 ideas for the application part and I don't really know how to style it.

1. Solve SAT like questions with signals and transforms (prefer this one)

2. Discuss how it is applied (Boring in my opinion)

By SAT I mean multiple choice questions. I already have 9 pages done so Im planning to make 2 pages worth of the questions. I'm planning to make my questions like these:

http://www.sanfoundry.com/digital-signal-processing-questions-answers-properties-fourier-transform-discrete-time-signals/

And try to answer them in my IA.

I'm not so sure about 'making question'. Make it sound as though you're investigating something. Like 'I was curious as to how this will change when I change that. Hence, I applied this concept and tried this out but it didn't work. So I tried this method and it worked!'. If you make it like a list of MCQs, it would seem as though you breezed through your IA and didn't feel challenged. Also, make sure the questions are meaningful and have some impact/implication/use. I think the second option (discussing application) is just as important - it shows your thoughtfulness and awareness of your work. You're not a number-churning math machine, and can think about the implication of your work. Maybe try to squeeze in a paragraph?

Of course, that's just my opinion and I suggest you talk to a few more people and see what they think.

Edited by Lynn Gweeny
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2017 at 1:54 AM, eee said:

I am also working on Fourier series for my IA and I am planning to focus on digital music, idk how tho :'(  If you find anything pleasssseeee let me know bcs I only have an explanation for fourier series and its too late to change 

I actually did find something. Since the Fourier transform is pretty much arrived at from Fourier Series. I figured I could use the following simulation:https://soundphysics.ius.edu/?page_id=949

As for a real-life application, I did something with the horn of my car (held it for 15 seconds while the engine was turned off, then honked it again while the engine and AC were turned on). Now I'm looking for a program that has the fast Fourier transform.