How much harder will Math HL get?

Guest TheMagical7

Guest TheMagical7

How could Math HL be preferable to Physics HL?

I'm really just considering one of the two. At the moment for Physics HL I'm barely on a 6, and I have to read the textbook several times to grasp the concepts. (We finished Waves and Oscillations recently.)

Edited by TheMagical7

It's impossible to say really. Different topics are harder for different people. Are you taking the course over 3 years? Cuz for me, taking it in 2 has been the hardest part due to the workload.

For you though, should be easy I guess. I do an hour or more of homework every day and I still end up with 3's in most of my end of topic subjects and a 3 at the end of the year. Needless to say, I'm jealous of u getting 7's with no homework!! 

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheMagical7
1 hour ago, SamirAliyev said:

Physics HL is a subject that you need Math HL to study it. If you drop Math then you will have really hard time. If you drop physics, this might affect your future carrier

What is an example of needing Math HL in Physics? I know for a fact it will not affect my career, and I do not intend to do both of them at HL, that's just crazy in my opinion.

4 hours ago, SamirAliyev said:

Physics HL is a subject that you need Math HL to study it. If you drop Math then you will have really hard time. If you drop physics, this might affect your future carrier

People on this forum have taken Physics HL with Math Studies. As long as you are good at simple algebraic manipulations you are fine @TheMagical7. Regarding how hard math HL will get, well every topic of any subject is listed in the IB official guide (free online). With the generous time change effective this year from 1 min / 1 mark to 1.2 min / mark, the difficulty should decrease. It still remains quite a difficult class considering you have 5 other classes to manage at the same time. 

• 1 month later...

I just finished all of calculus....I can tell you it differs among people but I found differentiation easy or lets say moderate. On the tests on differentiation, I had a 7, 4, 7 so it was quite good for me. However I got too relaxed and I was like Calculus is easyyy! then Integration came about and I got knocked hard! like extremely....never before in my life have I seen a level 2...but I got it. So I did find it hard catching up on all the integration, making me feel like this part of calculus was really hard. I did come back strong as I scored a 7 on a recent Integration test we did. However, calculus is by far the most demanding topic I have done so far in MathHL...let alone I am probably doing the CALCULUS option too! I dont think, there will be any other demanding topic like Calculus, but I must say Quarter 1 of IB 2 year had a lot with IAs, college applications, sat test preps...so that might have contributed to why I found integration so challenging. But the key is to depend on your self as much as your teacher....don't just walk into class and out and do h/w and except a good score in Math HL, esp calculus.