Math IA question

Barbra

Hi, 

I am going up to IB2 this year and have been working on my IA this summer. I have already decided what my IA is going to be about and the other day, I decided to ask my friend living in another different country, who has graduated this summer, what her IA was about and she did almost exactly the same thing. The topic was the same and the things that I was going to do was also really similar to what she has done already, like graphing and statistical testing. If I continue working on my IA with the same topic and not change what I am going to do, does this mean that I am breaking the academic honesty rules...?? 

You should be fine as long as you don't copy her structure or content word to word. If you consider, there will be many other people in the world doing the same topic as you. The only thing that matters is how well you put forth your argument and how well you present it. If you want any other help or want to discuss, feel free to contact me as I'm on the same page as you :P Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. You think so!? I haven't even seen her actual paper, just heard what she was doing, statistical testing and Guten-Berg Richter Law, exactly what I was going to do! But yeah, I won't copy her's or anything like that. You're taking exams this year as well!? yayyyyyy! So much fun waiting for this year ahead! (Being sarcastic)

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with what @draknye said; I'm pretty sure people have done the same topic at my school sometimes in multiple years. As long as you don't end up having chunks of paragraphs word-for-word from her IA, you should be OK. Remember that you don't need complete originality, but just show your own personal input and thoughts to get the 'personal engagement' bit up, which should also distinguish your IA from your friend's. 

• 1 month later...