Math IA: must the data be real?

clauiblovelanguages

I'm pretty sure they have to be "real" (how do you determine real data anyways).

The reason being is because you are attempting to find a trend (or non-trend) within the data, at least I'm assuming that's what you're planning on doing. If, say, one person fabricates the data, then there's a pretty good chance the data was made to conform to some sort of trend.

"Real" data is the safe way to go. You should probably work on authenticating the data, and ask your math teacher. 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 2:28 AM, Jaysun said:

I'm pretty sure they have to be "real" (how do you determine real data anyways).

The reason being is because you are attempting to find a trend (or non-trend) within the data, at least I'm assuming that's what you're planning on doing. If, say, one person fabricates the data, then there's a pretty good chance the data was made to conform to some sort of trend.

"Real" data is the safe way to go. You should probably work on authenticating the data, and ask your math teacher. 

Thanks a lot, I supposed that they should be real but as the guide said anything about it...

• 4 weeks later...

Technically, the content isn't the most important part of the IA. As long as you stay true to the structure and remain clear about your purpose and points, you should be fine, regardless of your data source. No one is going to demand videos of you throwing a dice for probability or anything, but the more proof and support you have for your thesis, the better