(EE in CS about cyber-security)  " To What Extent Can Hackers Exploit The Weakness of SSL Encryption To Slide By Standard Perimeter Defences?

So I would really like it if I finished my extended essay over the summer or at least finish a big chunk of it. I came to the conclusion that I want to write my extended essay about cyber security of something similar to that. I've done some research and I think I want my essay to be about how cyber attacks have affected millions of people and businesses and stuff such as the past cyber attacks on Google, VISA, Mastercard and so on. I'm not quite sure what my question should be though. The essay will probably be using the IB subjects CS/Business or CS alone. I would really appreciate you guys helping me! Thanks!

Update: Thanks for the reply Nomenclature I actually didn't realise that my EE can't be interdisciplinary so I appreciate you letting me know.

After reading more about my topic I have come to choose this as my question: " To What Extent Can Hackers Exploit The Weakness of SSL Encryption To Slide By Standard Perimeter Defences?

I'm still not sure...what do you guys think? Feedback much appreciated.

Edited by Your Average IB student

Full disclosure: I didn't write my EE for CS but I did consider it.

First off, IB does not allow multi-disciplinary EE's.

I can't help you with business, but for computer science I can say that you wouldn't be able to just write about the effect of attacks on massive companies.

You need to conduct an investigation and ultimately arrive at a conclusion about something. Thus, the closest thing I can think of is "What security measure is most important to prevent cyber attacks?" Beware though, as this is a very different question to what you were interested in and considering it's for massive, sophisticated companies, I think you would have a tough time drawing you own conclusions. The best EE's tend to have tests/scenarios designed by the author. Even if you are a CS genius, I doubt that you could construct your own version of the software that groups of 100's of people with post-university degrees design for these companies. That being said, CS does have a lower bar than other subjects for author initiative/involvement in the EE. Thus, in my understanding, you're allowed a lot of secondary source evidence (given that you read a range of secondary sources which you examine critically to arrive at conclusions), but I still think it's expected to do some of your own primary testing. I'd recommend talking to your advisor, assuming he/she's knowledgeable about the CS EE. There might be wiggle room and your advisor could possibly help you identify an opportunity to do something viable while still remaining ambitious. Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...